If there is one meat dish that can be called homely and exotic at the same time is – meatballs. This humble dish is so popular around the globe that 9th March is celebrated as World Meatball Day.
Italians and Americans serve meatballs with spaghetti, while most of the Asian countries like to have it in soups. Meatballs are very popular in Sweden and is generally served with a gravy. Koftas, as known in Persia, is eaten in many Asian and middle-east countries too. In India meatball curries are served with rice. The reason behind the popularity of meatballs is its ingredients that are easily available in every kitchen. Meatballs can be served with rice, biryani, pastas or can be eaten as an appetizer too. So, let’s roll on some delicious meatball recipes on this Meatball Day.
On this World Meatball Day, order minced chicken, lamb, goat or any fish of your choice from Licious, and enjoy the meatballs at home. Let us try some simple but interesting recipes of meatballs.
Minced goat is high in protein and has less calories than lamb. However, mutton, that is the meat of a matured sheep has more fat than a lamb. The famous Shahi Mutton Meatball Curry has rich and aromatic flavors.
Shahi Mutton Meatball Curry
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 18-20 minutes
- 250 grams Mutton mince (keema)
- 1 tbsp Ginger paste
- 1 tbsp Garlic paste
- 2 Chopped Green chilies
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp Garam masala powder
- 1 tsp Red chili powder
- 2 tbsp Oil
For the gravy
- Oil 2 tbsp
- ½ tsp Cumin seeds
- Green cardamom 2
- Cloves 4
- 2 Chopped onions
- 2 tsp garlic paste
- 2 tsp ginger paste
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp Red chili powder
- 1/4 tsp Garam masala powder
- 1 cup Tomato puree
- ½ cup Cream
- Chopped coriander leaves for garnishing
- Heat oil in a pan, add cumin seeds, cardamoms, cloves and onions. Sauté till its brown.
- For the koftas, put keema in a bowl, add garlic paste, ginger paste, green chilis and salt. Put garam masala powder and red chili powder on it.
- For the gravy, add garlic paste, ginger paste, turmeric powder, red chili powder, garam and masala powder to the oil.
- Add tomato puree and mix well.
- Let the gravy simmer for few minutes.
- Make round balls with the mixture.
- Heat oil in a non-stick pan and shallow fry the koftas.
- Take out the koftas when nice golden-brown color.
- Add half a cup of water to the gravy and simmer it.
- Add some salt and mix it.
- Add some cream to the gravy and mix it.
- Add some chopped coriander leaves for garnishing.
- Serve the gravy hot with rice.
Chicken meatballs are on everyone’s menu. As meatball is a comfort food, let us start with a simple and easy recipe of chicken meatballs in coconut curry.
Chicken Meatballs in Coconut Gravy
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Serves: 3-4 people
- 225 gms Minced Chicken
- 1/2 cup of Roasted Besan or Gram Flour
- ½ tsp Ginger paste
- ½ tsp Garlic paste
- ½ tsp Roasted cumin seeds
- ¼ tsp Red chili powder
- 1 tsp finely chopped cilantro
- Salt to taste
For the curry
- 1 small onion diced
- 2 tbsp garlic paste
- 1 cup of coconut milk
- Mix the minced chicken and all the other ingredients in a bowl. Stir it well.
- Pour some oil into a pan and put it on medium heat.
- Scoop the meat out with a spoon and round using your palms.
- Place the meatballs into skillet.
- Cook the meatballs, but don’t cook the meatballs fully through.
- Remove from the pan and set onto a plate.
- Remove oil from the pan and add the onion and garlic to it. Sauté it well.
- Slowly pour the coconut milk and stir until the curry paste and coconut milk are mixed together.
- Add the meatballs to the gravy and serve it hot.
Lamb meat is tender and has a distinct taste. It is a great source of healthy proteins and fats. Apart from curries, you can top it up your pizzas with some delicious lamb meatballs. So, let us see how to make it.
Lamb Meatball Pizza
Prep time: 35 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
Serves: 2-4 people
For the meatballs
- 350 gms Lamb mince
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp Garlic paste
- 2 tbsp Tomato paste
- Salt to taste
- 2 tsp black pepper
For the pizza
- Pizza base
- 2 tbsp Tomato sauce
- 1 diced Shallot
- Few Basil leaves
- Salt to taste
- Italian seasoning
- 2 tbsp Butter
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Grease the tray with little butter.
- Now, mix the bread crumbs and milk in a bowl.
- Let the bread crumbs absorb the milk for 20 minutes.
- Mix the bread crumb mixture, minced lamb, egg, tomato paste, garlic paste, thyme, salt and black pepper in a bowl.
- Take the lamb mixture in your hands and make small meatballs.
- You can either bake the meatballs or shallow fry it.
- If baking, then place the meatballs on the greased tray in the preheated oven until they are slightly browned for about 15 minutes. Once done, remove from the oven.
- Now, take the pizza base, brush it with little butter and place it in the oven for 5-7 minutes.
- Take the pizza base out and spread some tomato sauce on it.
- Put some onions, basil leaves and meatballs over the pizza.
- Sprinkle Italian seasoning and cheese on it.
- Place it in the oven and bake it for 15 minutes.
- Take it out and serve it hot.
Fish is low in fat and high in protein. Fish balls are prepared in various places in different ways. Some have it as a finger food, while some prefer it in a gravy. Today, we are sharing the recipe of a popular Bengali appetizer with you.
Bengali Fish Balls
Prep time: 25 mins
Cook time: 15 mins
Serves: 2-3 people
- 250 gms Catla fish pieces
- 2 tbsp Garlic paste
- 1 cup Onion paste
- 1 tbsp Garam masala or Five Spice Blend
- 1 tbsp Roasted cumin powder
- 1 tbsp Black pepper powder
- 2-3 Green chilies
- Egg white
- 1 cup Breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp finely chopped coriander leaves
- Turmeric powder
- Oil for frying
- Rub the deboned Catla fish pieces with some salt and turmeric powder and leave it aside for some time.
- Pour 2 to 3 tablespoons of oil in a frying pan and add onion, chili and garlic paste into it.
- Add some salt and turmeric powder.
- Stir fry the paste for 1 minute and then add the fish pieces.
- Cook till the fish becomes tender.
- Shred the fish and add some garam masala to the pan.
- Now, add finely chopped coriander leaves into it and mix everything well.
- Remove the pan from heat and let the mixture cool.
- Make small rounds out of the batter.
- Heat oil in a deep-frying pan.
- Dip the fish balls into egg white and roll it on breadcrumbs so that the whole ball is covered with it.
- Now, put the fish balls into the pan and fry it till it turns golden in color.
- Take out the fish balls and serve it hot with your favorite dip or chutney.
So, which one of these you want to try at home? Order your favorite meats and seafoods on Licious and prepare delicious meatballs at home. We deliver fresh, cleaned, cut and hygienic meats and seafoods at your doorstep in no time. Thus, on this World Meatball Day try making these recipes with Licious’ products and let us know. Don’t forget to share the picture of the dish with us on our Facebook page.
Tip: Do not overcook the meatballs, it can become hard in texture.