Many festivals are celebrated in a Bengali household all year round. Jamai Sasti is one such festival that Bengalis celebrate all around the globe. On this auspicious day, the son-in-law is treated with utmost love and admiration and fed delicious dishes and given gifts by the family’s elders. Celebration and food are synonymous in a Bengali household. Any festival feels incomplete without good food to satisfy the stomach. One such special recipe is the mangsher jhol or mutton curry, famous in all Bengali families.
This dish is specially cooked on weekends or during festivals. You can surprise your friends and family members with this delicious meal. This goat curry can be served for lunch as well as dinner.
If you’re looking for a recipe that will spice up the Jamai Sasti celebrations, this might be your answer.
What is Mangsher Jhol?
Mangsher Jhol directly translates to mutton curry or goat curry in Bengali. This is a famous Bengali dish that originated in Bengal. It is an easy goat curry recipe that can be made with all the ingredients readily available at home. Bengali cuisine is incomplete without this drool-worthy recipe.
Mangsher Jhol is made with rich goat curry cut pieces marinated with freshly ground spices to give it the much-needed aroma and flavours. Apart from that, many herbs and raw spices are also used to amp up the taste quotient of the recipe. One of the most striking features of the recipe is the use of peeled pieces of potatoes. It gives a rich touch to the mutton curry.
Goat Curry Cut Pieces
At Licious, we deliver goat curry cut pieces right to your doorstep. The meat is always fresh, never frozen. It is temperature-controlled between 0-4°C to maintain added freshness. The curry cut pieces consist of both bone-in and boneless cuts. It is ideal for all types of curries. From salan to mangsher jhol, you can make it all with the curry cut pieces. The meat is also passed through more than 150 checks. It is washed properly and cut to perfection by our experts. Licious goats and lambs are pasture-raised and picked at the right weight and size for tender meat. The meat is free from hormones and antibiotic residue.
So, order now and make a delicious Mangsher Jhol this Jamai Sasti.
- 1 kg Licious Rich Goat Curry Cut
- 2 tbsp onion paste
- 3 potatoes peeled and cut into halves
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 1 tsp Garam masala powder
- 2 tbsp Garlic paste
- 2 tbsp Ginger Paste
- 2 cups of finely chopped onions
- Salt - to taste
- 1 tsp Cumin Powder
- 1 ½ tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 2 tbsp Mustard Oil
- 150 gm dahi or yoghurt
- 4 tsp desi ghee
- 2 Bay leaves
- 2 Dry red chillies
- 1 black cardamom pod
- 4 green cardamom pods
- 4 cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Take a bowl and place the mutton pieces in it. Marinate with onion paste, ginger and garlic paste, turmeric powder, lemon juice, and mustard oil. Mix it well. Keep it aside in the refrigerator for 1-2 hours.
- Sprinkle salt and turmeric on the potatoes and fry them in a pressure cooker till they turn golden brown. Set them aside.
- Add ghee to the same oil and add the bay leaves, cardamom, cinnamon stick, cloves and red chillies.
- When they turn fragrant, add chopped onions and saute them well.
- Add sugar after that. Let it caramelise.
- Add the rest of the ginger-garlic paste. Mix well.
- Add the marinated curry cut pieces, mix well and cook for 5 minutes.
- Now on a low flame, add whisked curd or yoghurt. Stir continuously.
- The mutton pieces will start releasing water.
- Now, add all the spices like turmeric powder, garam masala, cumin powder, coriander powder, and red chilli powder.
- Mix them all well and add the fried potatoes.
- Add warm water as well.
- Now, close the pressure cooker and let the curry cook on a medium flame for 10-12 whistles.
- Serve hot once done!
Tips and Tricks
Stir continuously and saute well to give it a red colour. Do not add yoghurt on high flame. Make sure the dry spices do not stick to the cooker.
Serve with rice or roti.
Add raita or curd on the side.
Finish the meal with kheer.
If this recipe has enticed you, it will certainly entice your guests this Jamia Sasti, try this recipe at home and share it with us on Instagram. Tag us using #MadeWithLicious for a chance to win Licious Cash!