Do you like eating fish? If yes, this factual nugget will fascinate you: around 3.1 billion people worldwide get at least 20% of their protein from fish. By 2024, fish consumption is anticipated to reach 21.5 kg per person. India prefers fish because of its taste and health benefits. According to a survey, around a staggering 141.64 lakh tonnes of various types of Indian fish like hilsa, catla, kajuli rohu, basa, and many others were eaten in 2019–20.
Fish is considered one of the healthiest foods. It’s high in nutrients such as omega-3 fatty acids, vitamin D, protein, etc., all of which are essential for the health of your brain and body.
Before we talk about different types of fish in India, especially the benefits of the types of Indian fish, let us dig into how fish varies from other meat.
How are the types of Indian fish different from other varieties of meat?
Fish is one of India’s most nutritious and healthiest foods, with its essential nutrients and low-fat content. It might be why fish is such a sought-after nationwide favourite. It is a diet staple in the coastal regions of India. Besides being higher in protein than other meat varieties, there are numerous other health benefits unique to fish:
- Fish is a rich source of protein since it contains all nine amino acids that are important for the body’s functioning.
- All major health organizations advise eating fish at least twice a week.
- Fish, unlike other meats, is low in saturated fats. It is also a good source of healthy fats.
Recipes suitable for these fish
There are different types of fish in India. Each type of Indian fish has a distinctive taste, texture, and flavour, making for diverse seafood dishes. A few famous ones are:
- Fish Bhuna: Onions, fish, red chilli powder, turmeric, and salt are used to make this excellent snack. When you need to prepare appetizers for guests quickly, the simplistic fish bhuna is a terrific option. You can easily prepare it in no time.
- Fish Makhani: The combination of fish and curry is remarkable. Fish makhani is a curry that people serve as the main course for lunch or dinner. It is simple to make and should be served with rice.
- Amritsari Fried Fish: Amritsari fish is a delicious appetizer. Marinate the fish in a mixture of local Indian spices that give it a delightful flavour.
What cooking methods are most suitable for Indian fish?
- Barbecuing: Barbecued fish is a foodie favourite. The crisp skin and tender, juicy meat make a delectable combination. Put small cubes of fish on skewers to roast appropriately, and serve them with vegetables.
- Frying: The most common method for cooking fish is deep-frying it. Deep-frying of marinated fish helps you get crisp outer skin and juicy meat.
- Baking: Baking fish is a great way to cook them. Preheat the oven at an appropriate temperature and use marinades or oil to maintain the moisture content.
There are various other methods to cook different types of Indian fish, depending upon the taste and cuisine you like. Just make sure that the fish is tender and properly cooked.
When all’s said and done, you also need the best quality of fish to make the perfect, finger-licking meal.
We stock various types of Indian fish that are caught daily and delivered within 24 hours. All our fish undergoes 150+ safety and quality checks before being approved. Our expert meat technicians then descale, cut, clean and vacuum-pack the fish to seal in freshness. All you need to do is use the fish straight out of the pack with ZERO additional prep!
Don’t hold back. Browse our fish & seafood today and crack on with the cooking. Don’t forget to share your delicious fish recipes and pictures with us on Instagram using #MadeWithLicious!