With the trend of plant-based meat catching up worldwide, more and more people are eager than ever to try it and make it a part of their diets. People around the world are adding it as a source of protein or consuming it on the days they can’t eat meat for some reasons or if they have turned vegetarian and miss meat.
What is Plant-based meat?
Plant-based meat is meat that is obtained directly from plants. Interestingly, like the meat obtained from animals, plant-based meat is also composed of an array of essential nutrients like Vitamins, Fat, Minerals, Water, Protein and beyond. A plant-based diet also varies in nutrient density and nutritional strengths.
What are the primary ingredients used in Plant-based meat products?
The ingredients obtained from these plant-based sources impart an authentic meat-like texture. Here are a few popular sources of plant-based meat products:-
- Wheat gluten or seitan
- Pea protein
- Potato starch
- Coconut oil
- Herbs and spices that lend flavour and define the taste profile and which cuisine the meat dish can fit into
Plant-Based Diet Nutrition
Packed with antioxidants, minerals and vitamins, the benefits of a plant-based diet are multi-dimensional:-
- They’re a great meat alternative for days when you can’t or don’t wish to eat meat like on festivals
- They’re another way to add protein to your diet giving you more variety and as we all know, variety is the spice of life
- They look, taste, cook and feel just like meat so you will not miss the taste of meat
- They’re great for when you’re partying or eating with vegetarians
Is plant-based meat healthy?
Undeniably there are some benefits of plant-based meat, but a million-dollar question remains unanswered. And that is how healthy plant-based meat is. To get an in-depth answer, it becomes essential to learn about the pros and cons of plant-based meat.
Pros of Plant-based meat
- It is heart-healthy
- Low in calories and fat hence weight-friendly
- It has a high fibre content
- Lowers the risk of cardiovascular diseases
- It is a good source of protein and adds variety to the food spread on non-meat days or non-meat meals.
Cons of plant-based meat
Plant-based meats might not contain a few essential nutrients such as omega-three fatty acids, protein and an array of other nutrients found in great quantities in animal-based meat.
Plant-Based Nutrition Plan
While selecting plant-based meat, it is crucial to be mindful of a few factors:
- The nutritional value, especially proteins.
- The ingredients that are chosen to prepare the meat.
- Reading the label of food prepared using plant-based meat to know about additives.
- This is the right way to safely enjoy food choices related to plant-based meat.
- Check if good fats have been used.
The bottom line
Animal-based meat undeniably tastes incredibly delicious. From luscious chicken steak to lollipops, a variety of meat delicacies are adored across the globe. While many people may prefer meat as a part of their everyday diet, many people are unable to consume meat due to various reasons. This is where the need related to plant-based meat kicks in being a viable way for vegetarians and flexitarians to consume meat. Undeniably plant-based meat has its own set of advantages and disadvantages, but the secret lies in healthy and safe consumption of ingredients and recipes.