What do you know about the Atlantic Salmon? Find out some interesting facts and a bonus Atlantic Salmon fish recipe!
The Atlantic Salmon is a popular name known to people. However, not many are aware of its many benefits. It is enjoyed worldwide as a wholesome dish that is prepared in many ways and techniques in different regions. From grills and bakes to pan frying and pan searing, they are cooked in multiple ways using several fresh herbs and seasonings. In India, you can find Indian salmon on the western coasts of Maharashtra and Gujarat. Atlantic Salmon is harder to find in India but we fly it in fresh, every day. If you visit our website you can order Atlantic Salmon Fillets (With or without skin) or Steaks and get them home-delivered.
The Atlantic Salmon is categorised into three distinct populations: European, North American and Baltic. These three categories mix in the sea but divide into their respective groups when they reproduce. Salmon reproduce in freshwater. The females lay their eggs on river beds, once the eggs hatch, depending on the species, the newborns will either move to the sea immediately or after 1-2 years. Interestingly, salmon that make the journey from seawater to freshwater to mate and spawn, often do not return to the sea. The journey wears them out so much that they die shortly after.
Fun Facts About the Amazing Atlantic Salmon
Everyone should know some interesting facts about the Atlantic Salmon Fish. Some of these include:
- The Atlantic salmon fish are anadromous, as they spend around 2-3 years of their initial life in rivers before slowly making their way to the nearby ocean.
- Many of the Atlantic Salmon return to the same river that they hatched previously to spawn.
- Global warming and the rising temperatures of rivers may be affecting salmon numbers. Scientists believe the warmer waters are preventing salmon eggs from hatching and therefore, their natural numbers are decreasing.
What are the Salmon Nutrition Facts?
Studies have long shown Atlantic Salmon fish benefits health, here are a few:
- They are rich in Omega-3 fatty acids.
- The polyunsaturated fatty acids in this fish are believed to reduce the risk of several mental disorders.
- The Atlantic Salmon is a good source of other nutrients such as selenium, vitamin B12, vitamin A, niacin, phosphorous and thiamine.
Buy Atlantic Salmon online at Licious to prepare the recipe below, and don’t forget to tag us on Instagram using #MadeWithLicious. Our seafood and fish items are never frozen and come cut & cleaned for convenience. They are hygienically vacuum-packed and contain no added chemicals. So, place your order today by clicking on the button below.