Goa is loved for reasons more than one. The scenic beauty, lovely people, and most importantly, the unique variety of dishes make Goa one of the most visited places in India. Being a coastal area, the Goan people have a high consumption of seawater fish as their protein. Hence, several delicious fish curries were born in this state and are now being shared with the rest of the world. One such delicious fish curry is the Bangda Fish Curry, which is a mackerel fish curry.
At Licious, we offer fresh Bangda or Mackerel. We have a range of freshwater and seawater fishes that are caught fresh daily and never frozen. What’s more? Our fish & seafood are passed through 150+ safety and quality checks, cleaned in RO water by experts and cut into sizes to fit your requirements. They are then vacuum-packed to be delivered to your doorstep for your convenience.
If you want to enjoy cooking, serving, and eating an authentic Bangda Curry at home, order our Licious Premium Mackerel in your choice of cuts and sizes.
What is Bangda Fish Curry?
In Goa, Bangde is a local word for mackerel, and its curry is called hooman or uman. If you are in Goa ordering a ‘Bangdyache Hooman’ for yourself, you will get this delicious Bangda Fish Curry or Mackerel Fish Curry. The locals and tourists love to savour this beautiful curry with steamed rice. But you can also enjoy the flavours with your choice of bread.
Interesting Health Facts of Bangda
While taking your tastebuds on an unforgettable culinary journey, every bite of a Bangda Fish Curry Recipe also offers many health benefits.
- Mackerels come with high levels of vitamin B12.
- They are rich in Omega-3 fatty acids, essential to keep the heart healthy and improve mental and eye health.
- Coenzyme Q10 is a type of vitamin C found in mackerel fish that helps the immune system by preventing infections and strengthening the body’s defence system.
- Mackerel also contains many minerals, including copper, manganese, calcium, selenium, magnesium, and iron.
|Prep Time||30 minutes|
|Cook Time||60 minutes|
- 500 grams Licious Premium Mackerel small
- 5 Dry red chillies
- 1 tsp tamarind
- 1/2 inch ginger finely chopped
- 2 kokum petals
- 12 Sichuan peppercorns (crushed)
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 3 tbsp oil
- Salt as per taste
- Fresh Coriander Leaves
- Follow the instructions below for one of the best Indian Fish Curry Recipes With Bangda: Put the mackerel pieces in a bowl and add turmeric powder and red chilli powder. Mix them well and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Grind the dry red chillies and tamarind in ½ cup of water.
- Take a deep pan and add oil. Once it heats up, add ginger and fry.
- Add the tamarind and dry red chilli mixture along with the marinated mackerel. Mix them well and cook for two minutes.
- Add the Sichuan pepper and salt to the gravy and stir well.
- Add the kokum petals and cook till the fish is perfectly cooked. Do not overcook the mackerel.
- Garnish with fresh coriander leaves and serve hot with rice or chapatti.
This Goan recipe is one of the best Indian Fish Curry Recipes With Bangda that you must definitely try. Prepare it with the fresh and premium mackerels from our website, and don't forget to tag us on Instagram using #MadeWithLicious.