Looking to experiment and add a little zing to your fish appetizers? Try this easy yet delicious Bhetki fish fry recipe. Made with Bhetki or Barramundi fish, it is then marinated in spices and coated with breadcrumbs and egg before being fried. Bhetki fish fry tastes best when served with the Bengali Kasundi or mustard sauce.
This crispy fish appetizer tastes so good, you could have plenty in just one sitting! Are you ready to give this recipe a try? We’ve made it so simple and fun for you to cook.
Get started by ordering fresh fish from Licious. It is always fresh, never frozen and temperature-controlled between 0-4℃ making it absolutely delicious for any dish you choose to cook. Pick from a wide variety of cuts along with Bhetki cuts which are perfect for Bhetki fish fry.
What Is Bhetki Fish Fry & How Did It Originate?
Let’s time travel back a little to the British rule in India. Back when Kolkata was the capital of the country, Indian chefs were required to serve food that was familiar to the Europeans. With available ingredients and spices from the Indian kitchen, these chefs experimented with Bhetki fish. This is how and why Bhetki fish fry is considered a favourite amongst Bengalis.
What Is Kasundi Sauce?
Kasundi is a Bengali word which means chutney or pickle. Kasundi Sauce is a Bengali style mustard sauce that is made with fermented mustard seeds, dried mangoes, olives and other Indian spices. It is often served with Bhetki fish as a dipping sauce.
How To Crumb Fish To Cook Bhetki Fish?
Crumbing fish is honestly easier than you think. Try this easy dip method and save yourself some time.
- Take a baking tray and cover it with baking paper. Preheat your oven to 180℃.
- In a plate, add ½ cup of flour, salt and pepper. In a bowl, whisk 1 egg. In another plate, add three quarters of a cup of dried breadcrumbs.
- Dip each slice of fish in the flour and shake off any excess flour. Then dip them into the egg and turn to coat. Now dip in the breadcrumbs firmly so they coat well.
- Place the crumb coated fish onto the tray and spray a little olive oil.
- Bake for 5-10 minutes until golden brown.
Let us know how your Bhetki Fish Fry turned out in the comments below. If you post your recipe on social media, hashtag us at #MadeWithLicious and tag @licious_foods on Instagram. We’d love to see your delicious creations.