Chelo Kebab is an authentic Iranian dish made of flavourful lamb kebabs that are grilled and served with grilled tomatoes and basmati rice cooked in saffron. Here we share a Chelo Kebab recipe that you can make at home. Check it out!
|Prep Time||8 hours|
|Cook Time||1 hour|
- 2 onions coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- 3 tbsp Fresh lemon juice
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper freshly ground
- 600 gm boneless leg of lamb trimmed and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 18 grape tomatoes
- Cooking spray
For Making the Chelo
- 1½ cups Basmati rice
- 6 cups water
- 2 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter melted and divided
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ¼ tsp saffron threads crushed
- 2 tbsp Fresh mint chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro chopped
For Making the Chelo
- Blend the onions and garlic into a smooth paste. Then take a bowl and add the mutton cubes to it. Then add the onion-garlic paste, lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper. Mix the ingredients well, cover the bowl and let the meat marinate for 8 hours in the refrigerator.
- Gently massage the marinated meat cubes. Then thread them to the skewer. Coat them with cooking spray or oil. Grill the cubes on a grill pan or rack for 10-12 minutes. On a separate skewer, thread the tomatoes and grill them for 4-5 minutes. Make sure to turn the skewers for even cooking on all sides.
- Rinse the rice in warm water for 2-3 minutes in a fine sieve. Take a large pan and add 6 cups of water to it. Bring it to a boil. Add salt and the rice. Let the rice cook uncovered for 5-7 minutes. Stir the rice occasionally. Strain the rice in a bow. Reserve the liquid.
- In a large non-stick pan, add 2 tablespoons of the rice water, melted butter, olive oil and saffron. Place the pan on high heat. Add ⅓ of the rice and stir to coat in the mixture. Spread the rice evenly on the bottom of the pan. Then layer the remaining rice in the pan and spread evenly. Drizzle more butter. Cover the pan with a clean dish towel and place the lid on it. Cook the rice over high heat for 3-4 minutes. Let the rice turn brown at the bottom. As it turns brown, reduce the heat and cook for 20 minutes more. The bottom layer will give you crispy brown rice. Remove the lid and towel. Garnish with fresh mint leaves and cilantro. Serve hot with the grilled tomatoes, kebabs and Pita Bread.
Recipe Tip If you are using wooden or bamboo skewers, then make sure you soak them in water before using. Share your version of this recipe How do you make Chelo Kebab at home? Share your version with us! Frequently Asked Questions Can I make this recipe with minced meat? Yes. You can use minced meat. You can wrap the mixture gently onto the skewer into a long shape, like a seekh kebab. Can I serve this recipe with eggs? Yes. You can serve eggs sunny side up with this recipe.