Chilli Chicken is one of the classic Indo-Chinese starters popularly available in most of the Indian restaurants. It is the go-to dish that everyone relishes once in a while when craving for typical ‘Desi Chinese’ food. However, most of us refrain from trying this recipe at home due to the difference between homemade and restaurant taste. But, worry not; the following recipe is easy and requires simple ingredients that will help you achieve that desired restaurant-like taste.
Buy chicken online on Licious. Explore our website for a range of other fresh chicken options such as Chicken Drumsticks, Chicken Thighs and Curry cuts and prepare your next delicious recipe with Licious!
|Prep Time||10 minutes|
|Cook Time||45 minutes|
- 500 gms Boneless Chicken diced
- 4 tbsp cornflour
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp Soy Sauce
- ½ tsp chilli sauce
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- ½ tsp red chilli powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 Large onion diced into cubes
- 1 medium capsicum diced into cubes
- 1-2 green chillies finely chopped
- 1½ tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 2 tbsp Soy Sauce
- 2 tsp Tomato ketchup
- 1 tsp Vinegar
- 1 tsp red chilli sauce
- ½ tsp red chilli powder
- 2 tsp water + 2 tbsp cornflour slurry
- Salt and oil as needed
- In a large bowl, add all the marinade ingredients and mix well. Let the marinated chicken rest for at least 30 minutes. In another small bowl, mix soy sauce, ketchup, chilli sauce, red chilli powder, vinegar and cornflour slurry well and keep it aside.
- In a wide pan, heat the oil and drop a small portion of the marinade to test. If the marinade floats up with bubbles around, the oil is ready. Add the marinated chicken pieces into the oil and cook on medium-high flame until crispy, golden brown. Drain the chicken and remove the excess oil with kitchen tissue.
- In a shallow pan, heat about 2 tbsp oil and add ginger-garlic paste and green chillies. Sauté for about 30 seconds and then add diced onion and capsicum. Sauté for another minute until slightly crispy.
- Once the vegetables are sautéed, add the sauce mixture and stir until mixed. Then add the fried chicken chunks and cook until the sauce becomes thick and coats the chunks. Add salt as needed, stir and switch off the flame.
- Garnish with finely chopped spring onion and serve hot.
Recipe Tip You can use tomato puree with sugar, to make the sauce a little tangier. Share your version of this recipe If you make chilli chicken with a twist or use different ingredients for the batter, then we would love to hear from you. Whether a variation or this recipe as is, do share it with us. Frequently Asked Questions What is the alternative to deep frying chicken? You can shallow fry or grill the chicken instead of deep-frying to make the healthier version of the dish. How to get fiery red chilli chicken? You can use Kashmiri red chilli powder or red food colouring to get that fiery red chilli chicken.