For those chilling winter days, when all you want to do is wrap yourself in a blanket like a burrito, making a full-fledged meal might seem daunting. However, a hot bowl of creamy chicken soup is enough for you to get out of the blanket and take a stroll to the kitchen. Here we share a Cream of Chicken Soup recipe that requires only the staples from your pantry, chicken pieces, vegetables, cream and seasoning. A one-pot meal in itself for a light dinner, check out this Cream of Chicken Soup recipe below.
Buy Chicken Breast- Boneless online on Licious. Explore our website for a range of other fresh chicken options such as Chicken Drumsticks, Chicken Thighs and Curry cuts and prepare your next delicious recipe with Licious!
|Prep Time||10 minutes|
|Cook Time||10 minutes|
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3.5 tbsp unsalted butter
- ½ cup flour
- 1 garlic clove minced
- ½ small brown onion finely chopped
- 1 small carrot diced
- ½ red capsicum/bell pepper finely chopped
- 1 small celery stick diced
- 500 ml chicken stock/broth preferably low sodium
- 750 ml Milk
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp Garlic Powder
- ¼ tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp Dried Thyme
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ¾ cup frozen peas
- 1 cup cooked chicken breasts diced or shredded
- Take a large, deep-bottomed pan. Add some oil in the pan and heat it over medium-high flame. Then add onion and garlic to the pan and sauté for 2 minutes. Let the onion turn translucent. The garlic should turn aromatic. Then add the vegetables such as carrots, celery and capsicum. Sauté the vegetables for a minute. Let the vegetables soften.
- Add some butter to the pan and let it melt. Then add the flour until it is mixed. Keep stirring for a minute. Then add the chicken broth and stir until the flour is completely mixed. Add the milk and keep stirring.
- Add garlic powder, onion powder and dried thyme to the mixture. Give it a stir and let it thicken.
- Add the cooked chicken and peas and give the soup a good stir. Bring it to a simmer and let it bubble. Once the soup has thickened as per your preference, add salt and pepper and give it a stir. Add some croutons, garnish with thyme and serve hot.
To make croutons, take 2 slices of white bread and cut them into cubes. Sprinkle cubes with oil and salt. Bake them for 5 minutes at 180-degree Celsius until they get golden and crunchy.
Share your version of this recipe
How do you make Cream of Chicken soup at home? Share your version with us! In the meanwhile, check out our other Chicken soup recipes here.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I make this soup without garlic?
Yes. You can make this soup without garlic.
Can I use cream cheese to make it creamier?
Yes. If you want to make the soup extra creamy, you can add some cream cheese during the last step.