One of the easiest Indian curries, garlic chicken, is loaded with the robust flavour of fresh garlic. This recipe is quite simple and requires only 10 ingredients that are readily available in almost every Indian kitchen. Be it late night after work dinners or lazy Sunday afternoon lunches, this recipe is apt if you are in no mood to cook a 3-course meal yet want to eat something different. Keep reading to know more.
|Prep Time||10 minutes|
|Cook Time||30 minutes|
- 500 Gms bone-in chicken
- 15 garlic cloves
- ½ Inch fresh ginger
- ½ Cup thick curd
- 2 Tsp salt
- ½ Tsp Sugar
- 1 medium onion
- 1 Tsp turmeric powder
- 2 Tbsp oil
- 3 green chillies Slit
- ¼ Cup Finely chopped coriander leaves
- Mix the chicken pieces with 10 minced garlic cloves, curd, grated ginger, turmeric and salt. Coat the chicken well and keep it aside for at least 4 hours.
- Heat a heavy-bottom non-stick pan on the stove over medium flame. Add oil along with the remaining 5 sliced garlic cloves. Once the garlic sizzles and turns golden brown, remove some from the oil to use it later for garnishing.
- Add green chillies and sliced onions to the pan. Sprinkle salt, sugar and turmeric. Sauté for about 7 minutes until it is golden brown. Then add marinated chicken pieces and cook for about 25 minutes. Once the chicken releases its juices, add water depending on the desired consistency.
- Add finely chopped coriander leaves at the end and serve hot with fried rice or naan.
It’s supposed to be a thick curry, but if you like a thinner consistency, add water and salt accordingly while cooking the chicken.
Share your version of this recipe
If you make garlic chicken differently at home, share your version of the recipe with us.
Frequently Asked Questions What more can I add to enhance the flavour of this curry?
You can use chicken broth instead of water for the curry to enhance its flavour.
What can I use instead of curd to marinate the chicken?
You can use 1 tbsp lemon juice or vinegar instead of curd for marinating the chicken.
What portions of chicken are best for this recipe?
You can use bone-in chicken drumsticks, thighs or curry cut portions of chicken for this recipe.