Rogan Josh is a beautiful lamb curry with Persian roots. The lamb is cooked on a slow simmer to develop complex flavours and a beautiful red colour.
Start this recipe by ordering the freshest mutton from Licious! Passing over 150+ quality and safety checks before it reaches your doorstep, we ensure the mutton is fresh and unadulterated, the perfect choice for your recipes!
Buy Rich Lamb Curry Cut on Licious. Explore our website for a range of other Licious Mutton options to prepare your next delicious recipe with Licious!
- 1 tsp Asafoetida
- 1 pinch turmeric powder
- 4 tsp Kashmiri Red Chili Powder
- 1.5 tsp Dry ginger powder
- 1.5 tsp fennel powder
- Grind all the whole spices to a coarse powder using spice grinder or a mortar and pestle.
- In a 5-litre pressure cooker, heat 2 tbsp vegetable oil. Once hot, add the rough ground whole spices and asafoetida and fry it till fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add the washed and dried lamb. Stir to mix well with the spices. Keep stirring and frying the meat till it changes colour and the moisture dries up. Add salt and Kashmiri chilli powder and stir till the pieces of meat are coated with the oil and spice mix.
- Add whisked curd and stir for a few minutes till it changes colour. Next add the dry ginger powder and fennel powder. Stir well.
- Add the remaining water and close the pressure cooker and cook on a medium to high flame for 5 to 6 whistles.
- Once the pressure has released, open the cooker and stir the meat well. Check for the salt and texture of meat. Sprinkle the ground cardamom and cumin powder and mix.
- Garnish with chopped coriander.
- Serve hot with steamed rice and pickled onions.