Every seafood lover craves crab meat. Have you ever tried the mouth-watering Mangalorean Crab Curry? It is a popular delicacy that finds its roots in Mangalore, India. It comprises a good mix of herbs, spices, and sweet and juicy crab meat.
With several ingredients and a few steps to follow, your Mangalorean-style Crab sukka Curry will be ready! Believe us; your loved ones will rave about your culinary skills after trying out a mouthful. Additionally, this curry is a perfect addition to your special menus for birthdays, festivals, and even Sunday brunches. We have put together a wonderfully easy-to-follow recipe for you here.
What is Mangalorean Crab Curry?
Originating from Mangalore, India, the world-famous Crab sukka Mangalorean style Curry is a traditional curry that uses crabs and many spices. It has a delicious golden yellow and orange colour. It can be ready within 30 minutes and incorporates ingredients like grated coconut to add a rich texture, cumin seeds, turmeric, Kashmiri chillies, curry leaves and more. This curry is usually served with rice.
So, to begin, order fresh crabs from our website that are caught daily and delivered fresh to your doorstep and start cooking.
Licious Blue Crab
At Licious, we deliver fresh blue crabs which are tender, moist, and juicy. Our meat is always fresh and never frozen. to ensure freshness we maintain constant temperature controls between 0-4°C at every stage. Blue crabs are ideal for boiling, pan frying or grilling to prepare different curries.
Each pack contains 3-6 quarters of cleaned and gutted Blue Crabs. The top shell has been removed for your convenience, so you can cook these straight out of the pack.
If you’re planning to make Mangalorean crab curry, we recommend using our Blue crabs, which are perfect for this dish.
|Prep Time||15 minutes|
|Cook Time||30 minutes|
- 1 tbsp Coriander Seeds
- 10-12 black peppercorns
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 5-6 Dry red chillies
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1 tsp saunf or fennel seeds
- ½ tsp Fenugreek Seeds
- 2 tsp oil
- coriander leaves to garnish
- Salt - to taste
For the Curry:
For the dry masala:
- In a pan, heat some oil on a medium flame. Add garlic and chopped onions. Stir them for 2-3 minutes or until they turn golden brown.
- Add curry leaves and chopped tomatoes to the pan. Also, add the grated coconut. Fry the ingredients for some more time.
- Along with all the dry masala, add the crabs.
- Add salt as per taste. Cover the lid and let it simmer for 5-6 minutes.
- Add tamarind juice to the pan and cook it for 3 minutes. Also, add coconut milk to make the curry thick. Cook everything for 4-5 minutes. Keep stirring in between.
- Once the crab is cooked, turn off the flame. Leave everything untouched for some time, so the crab absorbs some gravy and becomes juicy.
- For added flavours, sprinkle some coriander leaves and onion rings over the top. Serve with fresh rice.
If you liked this recipe, try your hand at Mangalorean Crab Curry at home and surprise your friends and family members. Share your pictures with us on Instagram using #MadeWithLicious! We'd love to see your creations.