Meen varuval is a popular South Indian dish which means roasted fish. The following recipe can be made quickly in 2 simple steps. The key to a perfect meen varuval is marinating and refrigerating the fish before roasting. You can also plan your next day meal easily by preparing the fish a day prior. To learn how to make meen varuval at home, read below.
Buy Fish Steaks and a range of other fresh seafood options such as Fish, Prawns and Crabs and prepare your next delicious recipe with Licious!
|Prep Time||10 minutes|
|Cook Time||20 minutes|
- 6-8 Fish Steaks thick, of your choice
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1½ tsp Kashmiri red chilli powder
- 1¼ tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 tsp pepper powder
- 1 sprig Curry leaves finely chopped
- 2 tbsp Coriander leaves finely chopped
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp thick curd
- ½ tsp Lemon Juice
- salt to taste
- Blend all the ingredients except the fish steaks. Coat the fish steaks well with this smooth paste. Refrigerate for an hour.
- In a wide shallow pan, heat oil on medium flame and place the marinated fish on it. Roast the fish on both sides until golden and slightly crisp.
- Garnish with fried curry leaves and serve hot with mint chutney.
For best results, freeze the fish steaks for at least an hour after marinating them for the masala to stick.
Share your version of this recipe
Have you tried Meen Varuval yet? Do you prepare this dish differently at home? Share your version of the recipe with us.
Frequently Asked Questions
How can I adjust the marinade consistency?
With just oil, the marinade consistency will be perfect. However, if you need the paste to be little thin, add a few drops of water.
Can I oven roast the fish steaks?
Yes. You can roast/fry the fish in a preheated oven at 180° C for about 5-7 minutes on one side. Flip and continue to fry for another 5-7 minutes.