Fish has a prominent place in Bengali cuisine. From a host of authentic dishes, Muri Ghonto is one of the signature fish and rice dishes in Bengal. It is prepared with fish head, rice and potato chunks. Bengali cuisine also uses a variety of aromatic spices. Here we share the flavourful, spicy and aromatic fish recipe. Check it out!
|Prep Time||15 minutes|
|Cook Time||30 minutes|
- 1 cup rice
- 1 or 2 medium fish head
- 2 Medium onions finely chopped
- 2 Medium potatoes cut in halves
- 5-6 green chillies chopped
- 1 tsp Ginger Paste
- 1 tsp Garlic paste
- 1 large Bay leaf
- 5-6 Dried red chilli
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1 small cinnamon stick
- 2 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp Cumin Powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp Garam masala powder
- 1 tsp ghee
- 2 cups water
- 1 tsp Sugar
- Salt - to taste
- Carefully clean the fish head. Rub some salt, turmeric powder and red chilli powder and let it marinate for 15-20 minutes. Take a pan and add some oil to it. Add the fish head and fry on both sides until golden brown. Keep them aside.
- In the same pan, add the potatoes and fry them until golden brown. Keep them aside.
- Take a heavy-bottomed pan. Heat some oil into it. Add the bay leaf, dry red chillies, cinnamon stick and cumin seeds. Once the ingredients crackle, add the onion and sauté until it turns golden.
- As the onions turn translucent, add the ginger-garlic paste and sauté for a minute. Then add turmeric powder, red chilli powder, coriander powder and cumin powder. Fry the mixture for a few minutes until the rawness is gone.
- Add the soaked rice and stir for a minute. Then add the fried fish-head pieces. Then add the fried potatoes. Add water, cover the pan with a lid and let it simmer for 10-15 minutes until the rice is cooked. Serve hot.
For an extra kick of flavours, sprinkle some garam masala and add some ghee on top before serving.
Share your version of this recipe
How do you make Muro Ghonto at home? Share your version with us!
Frequently Asked Questions
Is Muro Ghonto a side dish?
Yes. It is a side dish served with rice or roti.
Which fish can I use to make Muri Ghonto?
You can use Rohu or Catla fish to make this recipe.