Mustard Chicken is a classic Bengali chicken delicacy. It is easy to make and requires ingredients that are easily available in your kitchen. This chicken recipe has a unique taste as it uses mustard oil and mustard paste in its preparation. Let your taste buds feel the zing in this delectable chicken recipe. Check it out below!
Buy Chicken Leg Curry Cut (Medium Pcs) online on Licious. Explore our website for a range of other fresh chicken options such as Chicken Drumsticks, Chicken Thighs and Curry cuts and prepare your next delicious recipe with Licious!
|Prep Time||15 minutes|
|Cook Time||35 minutes|
- 1 kilograms Chicken legs
- 5 onions medium-sized, grated
- 1 tbsp Garlic paste
- 2 Tomatoes
- 1½ tbsp Mustard paste
- 1 tbsp Sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- ½ teaspoon Cumin seeds
- 3 tbsp Mustard Oil
- 2 tsp Ginger Paste
- 4 Green Chilli
- 1 tsp Garam masala powder
- 1 pinch powdered turmeric
- 2 tsp salt
- 5 green cardamom
- 1 bay leaf
- Wash the chicken pieces and transfer them to a large bowl. Add grated onions, ginger-garlic paste and mix the ingredients. Coat the chicken in this marinade and set it aside for an hour.
- Take a pan and add oil to it. Once it smoulders add sugar to the oil. Let the sugar char. Then add cumin seeds, bay leaf, cardamom and cinnamon and let them turn aromatic. Then add green chillies and lower the flame. Add the chopped tomatoes and cook them for a minute. Once they get mushy, add marinated chicken in the pan. Keep tossing the chicken pieces for 15 minutes until the oil separates. Add salt, turmeric, garam masala powder and half a cup of water. Cover the pan and let the chicken simmer for 20 minutes.
- Once you feel the chicken is cooked, add the mustard paste and give the curry a mix. Let the chicken cook for a minute. Serve hot with rice or roti.
You can add coconut milk instead of water to make this recipe more creamy.
Share your version of this recipe
How do you make Mustard Chicken at home? Share your version with us!
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I store this Mustard Chicken in a refrigerator?
Yes. You can refrigerate this mustard chicken for 3-5 days in an airtight container.
Can I marinate the chicken in the mustard paste?
Yes. You can marinate the chicken in the mustard paste. Adjust the amount for later use accordingly. Use the onion and ginger-garlic paste for frying instead of marination.