Why go out to feast on a lavish dinner when you can make one at home? Whether it is Christmas Eve, your kid’s graduation party or your new job celebration, Rotisserie Chicken is a perfect way to feast. Serve an exotic meal right at home, as this dish goes well with mashed potatoes, garlic rice, roasted veggies or grilled corn. Plus, it doesn’t require many ingredients. Intrigued to know more? Keep reading!
|Prep Time||10 minutes|
|Cook Time||2 hours|
- 1 whole chicken
- ½ Cup Kosher Salt
- ½ Cup Granulated Sugar
- 2 Bay leaves
- 1 tbsp black peppercorns
- ½ quartered red onion
- 2 quartered lemons
- 4-6 garlic cloves
- A mix of dried herbs (rosemary, thyme, etc.) to taste
- olive oil as needed
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper to taste
- Wash the chicken with cold water and set aside. In a large marinade bowl, add the kosher salt and granulated sugar with 1 cup of hot water. Stir thoroughly to dissolve them. Then add bay leaves and peppercorns along with enough cold water that will cover the whole chicken. Place the chicken in the bowl and marinate for at least 4 hours.
- Preheat the grill on high heat. Take out the chicken from the brine and rinse with cold water. Pat dry the chicken and season the inside cavity with salt. Mix red onions, lemons, garlic cloves, herbs, olive oil, kosher salt and pepper. Stuff this mixture in the cavity and rub the skin outside with olive oil, salt and pepper. Prepare the chicken for the grill with a rod and tie legs and fold the wings under the breast.
- Place the chicken on the grill and start the rotisserie. Cook the chicken over indirect heat for about 1½-2 hours or until the thickest part of the thigh reaches a temperature of about 73°C.
- Garnish with some dried herbs and serve hot with mashed potatoes or grilled corn and garlic rice.
For better results, marinate the chicken and refrigerate it for 12 hours or overnight.
Share your version of this recipe
Do you make rotisserie chicken at home? Share your version of the recipe with us.
Frequently Asked Questions
At what temperature can I roast the chicken in the oven?
Roast the chicken in a preheated oven at 232°C with the chicken placed breast side up for about 12 minutes. Then reduce the temperature to 176°C and cook for about 60-70 minutes more.
How many days does rotisserie chicken last in the refrigerator?
Rotisserie chicken lasts for about 3-4 days in a refrigerator when stored well at or under 4°C.