Spatchcock Chicken is called so, for the way it is prepared. A chef or experienced home cook removes the backbone from the chicken and butterflies it to lay it flat on the board or counter. At first, this might sound like a task, but in reality, there’s a quick trick that can help you ace it. Also, this spatchcock chicken can be easily made at home with the herbs available in your kitchen. To learn the trick, read on!
Buy Whole Chicken online on Licious. Explore our website for a range of other fresh chicken options such as Chicken Drumsticks, Chicken Thighs and Curry cuts and prepare your next delicious recipe with Licious!
|Prep Time||15 minutes|
|Cook Time||45 minutes|
- 1-1.5 kg whole chicken
- 1½ tsp Sea Salt
- ½ tsp Black pepper powder
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1½ tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp Coriander finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- ½ tsp lemon zest
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 3-4 Medium potatoes
- 3 medium carrots
- 3-4 Tomatoes
- Place the chicken breast-side down and using kitchen scissors cut through the ribs along both sides to remove the spine. Open the rib cage and push the sternum to pop out the breast bone and flatten the chicken.
- Season the chicken on the inside with half a teaspoon of salt and a pinch of black pepper. Flip the chicken over with the breast-side up and place on a baking sheet. Push the chicken breast firmly so that it lies completely flat. Now, separate the skin over the breast, thigh and drumstick areas from the meat.
- In a bowl, mix butter, oil, lemon juice, zest, garlic, coriander, salt and pepper. Whisk using a fork until the lemon juice combines with the butter well. Reserve a couple of teaspoons and spread the remaining under the chicken skin and also all over the chicken.
- Place the cleaned and quartered vegetables around the chicken and drizzle some olive oil and the reserved butter sauce. Sprinkle some salt and black pepper as per taste. Preheat the oven at 218° C.
- Place the baking sheet in the oven and bake for about 45 minutes. Once baked, remove the chicken and let it rest for about 10 minutes.
- Drizzle some tahini sauce on top for garnishing and serve as is with the baked vegetables or along with Greek lemon rice.
Avoid over-baking the chicken as it will turn the chicken breasts dry.
Share your version of this recipe
Let us know how you liked this recipe. Is it the same as you make it or do you use a variety of ingredients? We would like to hear from you, so don't forget to share your version of the recipe with us.
Frequently Asked Questions
For how long should I keep the seasoned raw chicken?
For best results, season the chicken and let it rest overnight.
Which vegetables can I bake along with the chicken?
You can use asparagus, French beans, onions, baby potatoes, lemon wedges or sprigs of thyme for baking along with the chicken.