Durga Puja is a vibe on its own. It marks the victory of good over evil as goddess Durga defeated the buffalo demon, Mahishasura. In West Bengal, this festival is celebrated with great pomp and grandeur as the people of this region are considered to be the children of the goddess who welcome their mother to her natal home for nine days. On these nine days, the state gleams with bright lights and colours in every corner. Every street and household is filled with the aromas of delicious and authentic Bengali cuisines, including the popular Bhetki Paturi.
At Licious, you can find bhetki fish to make your Bhetki Macher Paturi recipe that is sourced directly from the day’s catch of approved local boats. The Bhetki Paturi Recipe Bengali dish is best prepared with fresh bhetki or barramundi that are available in curry cut size on our website. Enjoy the fresh, mildly-flavoured, flaky white flesh of bhetki which has been cut, cleaned, hygienically vacuum-packed & delivered to your doorstep.
What is Bhetki Maacher Paturi?
This unique style of Bengali cooking includes using banana leaves for cooking fish. Here, ‘Bhetki’ is the Bengali name for the Barramundi fish, ‘ Maach’ stands for fish, and ‘Paturi’ stands for leaf. A Bhetki Fish Paturi Recipe is prepared using this fish and banana leaves, along with a few other simple ingredients readily available in every Indian household.
While you enjoy learning about this dish, let us also give you an insight into some interesting facts about the barramundi fish:
- The bhetki or barramundi fish can be found in the waters from North Australia to Southeast Asia, Sri Lanka and India.
- The barramundi is known by many names worldwide, including Giant Perch, Cockup, Palmer, Silver Barramundi, Australian Seabass and Nair fish.
- The barramundi fish can live in all water sources, including freshwater, saltwater, and estuaries.
- Their spawning season is usually during the time of the full moon.
How To Make Bhetki Paturi Bengali Style?
As complicated as this may sound, making a delicious Bhetki Fish Paturi dish is exciting and straightforward. You can prepare it using simple ingredients. It is best enjoyed with hot rice, as the Bengalis love their meal.
|Prep Time||30 minutes|
|Cook Time||60 minutes|
- 1 kg of Licious Bhetki Curry Cut
- 2 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 4 tbsp Fresh Coconut
- 4 tbsp yellow mustard
- 4 tbsp black mustard
- 6 pieces of green chillies
- 4 pieces of poppy seeds
- 3 Red chillies
- Salt as per taste
- Banana Leaves
- green chillies slit
- 2 tbsp Mustard Oil
- Add the Licious Bhetki Curry Cut pieces to a bowl along with salt and lemon juice. Mix well and marinate.
- Soak the mustard, poppy, and red chilli in lukewarm water for about 2 hours.
- Take a mixer grinder and add the fresh coconut, salt and soaked chillies. Grind into a fine paste.
- In a large bowl, pour the mixture and add the marinated fish pieces. Mix well and allow to rest for 10 minutes.
- Put a pan on medium flame and heat the banana leaves for about 30 seconds on both sides.
- Place one fish piece on one banana leaf and 1 tbsp of the marinaded masala. Add 1 green chilli to each leaf, gently wrap it around the fish, and carefully tie it with thread.
- On the same pan, heat mustard oil and place the wrapped leaves. Cover with a lid and allow the parcels to cook for 5 minutes on each side.
- Serve them hot on the banana leaves with rice or chapatti
Try this delicious recipe and share a picture by tagging us on Instagram using #MadeWithLicious.