The cultural centre of the easter part of India, Kolkata, is known for its drama, literature, arts, and theatre. But something else about the city has also won the hearts of millions – its Kathi Rolls. With the special blend of spices that makes Kolkata Chicken Kathi Roll a dish to crave, many of us wonder how to prepare it at home. There is something unique about this recipe, and today we have a great version for you.
The Kolkata Chicken Kathi Roll flavours are strikingly rich and aromatic. Wrapped in a roti or a naan, the Kathi inside gives a kick in every bite. Over time, this famous street food has become a favourite of many. It is a good alternative to other fast food items, and preparing it at home is easy.
What is Kolkata Chicken Kathi Roll?
The chicken roll has evolved into one of the most renowned street foods. The perfect Chicken Kathi Roll recipe was first introduced in Kolkata as a street delicacy during the first half of the 20th century. Its origin can be traced back to a popular restaurant called Nizam’s; at this time, Kolkata was the capital city under British rule.
As you take a bite, you experience a burst of flavours, subtle yet gripping. For those craving to taste the delicious Kolkata Chicken Kathi Roll, we have got you covered with an exciting recipe! It’s easy and quick to make. Also, if you’re organising birthday parties, family get-togethers, or even a surprise meal for your little munchkins, a bite of this will excite them.
Chicken Leg – Boneless Cubes
The basic necessity for a delicious Kolkata Chicken Kathi Roll is the chicken, and at Licious, you can find cut & cleaned fresh chicken and have it delivered to your doorstep. Our chicken is sourced from biosecure farms and contains no antibiotic residue or hormones. The meat is cut and cleaned by experts and hygienically vacuum-packed. To maintain freshness, the meat is stored between 0-4℃ at every stage, your orders are never frozen. For this recipe we recommend our Chicken Leg – Boneless Cubes because they are bite-sized pieces that will fit into a roll perfectly and having been cut from the leg, they remain juicy and do not get dry easily.
|Prep Time||15 minutes|
|Cook Time||20 minutes|
- 550-600 grams of Licious Boneless Chicken
- 1 1/2 tbsp tandoori masala powder
- 3 tbsp Yoghurt
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 tbsp Lime juice
- 1/2 tbsp turmeric powder
- 2 tbsp Kasoori methi
- salt as per taste
- 1 tbsp ghee for brushing the tikka
- 2 tsp Kashmiri chilli powder
- 1/2 tbsp black salt
- 3/4 tbsp garam masala
- 1/2 tbsp white pepper or black pepper
- 1 1/2 tbsp Mustard Oil
For the chicken:
- Mix all the ingredients together in a clean bowl with the chicken, along with some ghee. Let it sit for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Brush the chicken pieces with ghee and broil or grill them at 200°C for a good 25 to 30 minutes. You can also pan fry them on the stove.
- Take a large bowl and add the water, salt, oil, and flour. Mix it well using your hands to prepare the dough. Make sure there are no lumps left.
- Let it sit for 30 minutes.
- Divide the dough into small rounds, dust them with a little flour and roll them into rotis. Once rolled, cook your rotis on the stovetop until golden brown.
- Once the rotis are prepared, fill the prepared chicken Kathi masala into the parathas and roll them carefully. Garnish with chilli sauce, tomato sauce, onions, a squeeze of lemon and any other topping you enjoy.
- Serve hot!
There are several versions of the Kathi roll in Indian Food Recipes, but the authentic Kolkata Chicken Kathi Roll is a must-try for everyone who loves Kathi Rolls. Make your own Spicy Chicken Kathi Roll Recipe and share it with us on Instagram with the hashtag #MadeWithLicious!