Thai Green Curry is one of the most enjoyed dishes from the Thai cuisine, and it’s easy to see why. Well-cooked pieces of vegetables & meat, spiciness from the chillis and the curry base, that’s diminished by the creaminess of coconut milk and freshness from the coriander – a truly drool-worthy curry.
This recipe allows you to enjoy this comforting dish, in the comfort of your home. We’ve used store-bought Thai curry paste. Creating homemade paste requires hard to find/expensive ingredients (such as galangal and kaffir lime) and the process is time-consuming. Here’s an easy recipe that tastes just as good as what you had at your favourite Thai restaurant!. And to add some umami to the dish – juicy, mildly sweet prawns!
But before we step into it…it’s food history time!
What is Thai Green Curry?
Thai Green Curry or kaeng khiao wan is a signature Thai dish. Vibrant in flavour and look, this spicy aromatic curry finds its roots in Indian Cuisine! Hanuman Aspler, a Thai food experts suspect that it was the Indian tradition of using green chilies in curries that inspired the birth of this dish. While we know little about the origin of the dish, we do know that it became increasingly popular in the 1920s – a time when Thailand switched from being a monarchy-ruled state to a democracy. People often associate the colour green is with renewal and change. We suspect that this is what caused the sudden popularity of the dish during this time.
The prawns and coconut milk are the signature ingredients to this dish. Prawn has an umami taste which is a cornerstone flavour of Thai cuisine and the coconut milk helps balance out the spice from the green chillies. Freshwater prawns are what people often use to make this dish.
The Licious Freshwater Prawns come cleaned and deveined. They’re made for your convenience and are fresh off the coast. Remember, if you want your curry to pack a punch you need to be using the freshest ingredients.
|Prep Time||10 minutes|
|Cook Time||30 minutes|
- Oil – For Frying
- 2 onions (finely sliced)
- 3 tablespoon Thai green curry paste
- 1 Red chili sliced
- 1 tablespoon ½fish sauce
- 20 gms fresh ginger grated
- 1 head Broccoli cut into florets
- 400 ml light coconut milk
- 2 pak choi sliced a type of Chinese cabbage
- 300 gms Licious freshwater prawns
- 2 teaspoon Lime juice
- A handful of fresh coriander chopped
- Begin by heating a few tablespoons of oil over a medium flame in a deep frying pan.
- Add the onions and cook until they become translucent.
- Add in the fish sauce, curry paste, chili, and ginger and stir fry for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the broccoli and cook for another 3-4 minutes.
- Pour the coconut milk and allow it to simmer over a low flame for 4 minutes
- Then add the pak choi and prawn. Let it cook for 7-10 minutes.
- Before serving garnish with lime juice and coriander.
For a hearty and wholesome meal serve the curry hot along with fried or boiled rice. A tomato or Thai cucumber salad would also make for the perfect accompaniment. What are you waiting for? Order Licious Freshwater Prawns now and get cooking! We’d love to see how your Thai Curry turned out! If you do follow our recipe post a picture of it with #MadewithLicious. Recipe Tips: If you’re not a big fan of thicker curries then simply add in some vegetable or prawn stock before adding in the prawns. Don’t have fish sauce in your pantry? No worries, you can substitute it with soya sauce!