When we think about it, lasagna is just a bit of chicken or vegetables sandwiched between sheets of pasta. Okay, we mustn’t forget the sauce and the cheese. On their own, all these ingredients are just day-to-day items that find their way into many recipes. And yet, the combination of these items causes an explosion of flavours to die for. Over the years, chicken lasagna has evolved, with new versions coming up regularly. Creamy white chicken & spinach lasagna is an example. Where, then, did this recipe originate? Let’s find out.
Lasagna, a bit of history
Interestingly, lasagna originated from Greece in the 2nd century BC. It comes from the word laganon, sheets of pasta made from dough and fashioned into strips, and this is said to be the oldest form of pasta. Much like today, laganon was layered and cooked with sauces. Similar dishes were found in Ancient Rome, where the pasta was prepared with sauces and local produce.
Irrespective of its origin, today, lasagna is made from pasta sheets with fillings such as seafood, ragout, vegetables or chicken, bechamel sauce, tomatoes, and parmesan.
For a great chicken lasagna recipe, the key ingredient makes a lot of difference. Licious chicken products come from holistically bred chickens. The meat is tender and supple, adding to the flavour.
|Prep Time||30 minutes|
|Cook Time||60 minutes|
- 9 lasagna sheets
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1½ cups Milk
- ½ cup butter
- 1 Chopped Onion
- 1 minced garlic clove
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups of chicken broth
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp Dried Oregano
- 4 cups of shredded mozzarella cheese divided
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese divided
- 2 cups ricotta cheese
- ½ tsp Ground black pepper
- cup Aof shredded chicken
- 1½ cup chopped spinach
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley
- Preheat the oven to 175 °C
- Place a large pot of water on the stove and bring it to a boil.
- Add the lasagna sheets and cook for 8-10 minutes, until they are al dente.
- Drain the water and rinse the lasagna sheets in cold water.
- Melt some butter in a pan over medium heat. Toss in the onions and garlic and stir.
- Add the flour and whisk till browned.
- Next, add the chicken broth, salt, and milk, whisking the mixture continuously for around a minute.
- Add 2 cups of mozzarella and ¼ cup of parmesan, and mix it thoroughly.
- Next, season the mixture with black pepper, basil and oregano. Remove from the heat.
- Spread 1/3 of the sauce evenly at the bottom of a baking dish [9 by 13 inches]. Layer with three lasagna sheets, the chicken, and the ricotta. Layer 3 more lasagna sheets on the chicken and the ricotta.
- Spread 1/3 cup of the sauce, the spinach, the remaining mozzarella, and ½ cup of parmesan.
- Place the rest of the sheets over the cheese and coat the lasagna sheets evenly.
- Top it off with a sprinkling of parsley and ¼ cup of parmesan.
- Serve your chicken lasagna piping hot.
For more recipes like creamy chicken lasagna soup, you can try our selection of chicken products.
The proof of the pudding is in the eating. Good products ensure a rich and wholesome flavour when you make tasty cheesy chicken lasagna. For fresh and tender meat and chicken, go for Licious meats and chicken; they will not disappoint.
Do try this recipe at the earliest and tag us with a picture on Instagram using #MadeWithLicious. For more details visit us on licious.in. We promise you will find what you need in our range of products.