There’s a good reason why people call tuna fish the ‘king of the sea.’ Tuna is a popular fish with good fat, vitamins, and protein. It’s a meaty and versatile fish that is a staple in most culinary cultures worldwide. Are you aware that there are around 15 types of tuna — Albacore, Bigeye, Blackfin, Bluefin, Bonito, Bullet, Dogtooth, Frigate, Little Tunny, Longtail, Mackerel, Pacific Bluefin, Skipjack, Southern Bluefin, and Yellowfin Tuna?
Tuna is one of the world’s favourite fish. You can find a wide variety of tuna dishes cooked in quaint kitchens and restaurants worldwide. Fresh tuna on sushi rice, a delicious sandwich or a healthy tuna salad, there are so many different dishes you can make using this popular tuna fish.
What Is Yellowfin Tuna?
Yellowfin Tuna, also known as Thunnus albacares, is a torpedo-shaped fish found worldwide in open waters of subtropical and tropical oceans. This species of tuna have a lifespan of around seven years. They have dark blue backs, a silver belly, and yellow sides. They can be distinguished from other tuna fish by their long bright yellow dorsal fin and yellow strip down the side.
These migratory species of tuna fish travel long distances, grow very fast and are the largest tuna species. They start to reproduce at the age of two and are abundant species spawning throughout the year. Females can spawn almost daily and produce an average of about 1 to 4 million eggs during the spawning season.
Yellowfin Tuna fish has a mild, meaty flavour. In its raw state, the meat is red, but when cooked, it turns brown to greyish. It also becomes moist and firm. Yellowfin Tuna is popularly served raw in sushi and as sashimi.
Nutritional Facts and Health Benefits
There are many health benefits of Yellowfin Tuna. Some of them are as follows:
- Yellowfin Tuna contains omega-3 fatty acids that help to improve heart health and reduce cholesterol.
- Yellowfin Tuna is high in protein and low in calories.
- It’s a rich source of potassium, which helps to lower blood pressure levels.
- Yellowfin Tuna contains nutrients like selenium, zinc, manganese and vitamin C, which help to boost immunity.
Some Ways How To Cook This Fish
- Yellowfin Tuna is best when eaten raw, but if you want to broil or grill it, cut steaks about 1 ½ inch thick for the best flavour.
- Tuna is a fish that does not require a lot of flavour enhancement. You could brush it with oil and sprinkle it with salt.
- For grilling, you could try marinating the fish with a bit of oil, brown sugar and white wine for one to two hours before grilling.
- Enjoy Yellowfin Tuna with avocados or salads. It’s a great way to add a textural element and flavour to a simple salad.
Buy Licious Tuna
To cook Yellowfin Tuna, you can purchase this tasty fish in small or medium cubes, from our website. These cubes are skinless and boneless, with a bright red meaty texture that becomes moist and flaky when cooked.
Low in fat, Yellowfin Tuna is light meat with a moderate flavour. It’s ideal for curry, fried or baked dishes.
At Licious, all our fish & seafood is from the day’s catch of local fishing boats. Our experts cut and clean the fish for convenience and you can use it straight out of the pack with zero prep.
Additionally, our fish is never frozen, it’s always fresh and contains no added chemicals. Buy this tasty fish online from our website and get it delivered to your doorstep!