Eggs are one of the most versatile food items in the kitchen. They not only allow you to whip up a quick meal or snack but they can also be used to bind, thicken, glaze, leaven and even garnish various dishes. They can be cooked in many ways – baked, scrambled, poached, boiled, or fried. As we already know, eggs are a healthy choice, so adding them to your daily diet is a good idea! But what’s with all the different types of eggs available? Does it make a difference what you purchase? So, let’s look at the different types of eggs, the grades, and the benefits of eating eggs.
Different Grades of Eggs
Eggs are given different grades than you would usually see on cartons. They are based on USDA standards that specify the quality of eggs – their appearance, behaviour when cooked and texture. Below are the different grades of eggs:
- Grade AA: Eggs with grade AA are of the highest quality. They have a perfect appearance; they tend to cover a small area when cracked. The yolk is round and firm, while the white part of the egg is thick. These eggs are great for boiling and frying.
- Grade A: These types of eggs are also of high quality. When cracked, it covers a moderate area with a firm yolk and the white being thick. These eggs are also great for frying, boiling, and poaching.
- Grade B: Eggs with grade B covers a wide area. They have a small amount of white that is watery and weak and a somewhat enlarged and flattened yolk. These eggs are suitable for use in dishes made with other ingredients or scrambling.
Different Types of Eggs
There are different types of eggs available in the market that you can purchase. Some of them are as follows:
- Quail Eggs: These types of eggs are smaller, with spots and speckles on the shells. Quail eggs also have double the amount of iron and more vitamins. They are also richer because they have a higher yolk-to-white ratio.
- Cage-free Eggs: These eggs are laid by hens that are healthy and are not kept in battery cages. They are well-cleaned, sorted and have no antibiotic residue.
- Free-range Eggs: These types of eggs are cage-free eggs. They have outdoor access.
- Pasture-raised Eggs: Laid by healthy and happy hens that have ample time outside on well-maintained pastures.
- Organic Eggs: These eggs are laid by hens fed an organic diet without pesticides.
- Vegetarian-fed Eggs: The hens that lay these eggs are fed a vegetarian diet.
- Country Eggs: Laid by country chickens, the shells of these eggs are light brown and off-white. The yolks of these eggs vary from light to deep yellow.
Top 10 Health Benefits of Eggs
- Eggs contain vital nutrients – vitamins A, B5, B12 and E, including phosphorus and iodine.
- Eggs are a good source of protein.
- Eggs help to improve good cholesterol levels.
- Eggs are a good source of vitamin D.
- Eggs help with weight management.
- Eggs are a good source of omega-3s.
- Eggs contain a wide range of minerals.
- Eggs help boost nutrient intake for healthy ageing.
- Eggs contain choline, an essential nutrient that helps to build cell membranes.
- Eating a balanced diet helps manage stress and mental health better. Eggs contain all the vitamins, proteins and minerals required for a balanced diet.
Buy Licious Eggs
You can find a wide variety of eggs like classic eggs, brown eggs, country eggs, duck eggs, quail eggs and more on our website. Our eggs are naturally laid by healthy hens and contain no antibiotic residue. Additionally, our eggs are 100% cleaned, quality checked, sorted and safely packed. Click on the button below to order fresh eggs and enjoy speedy home delivery.