Bonus: It takes just 5 minutes!
A healthy breakfast that includes some of your favourite dishes is sure to put a wide grin on your face. Eating protein has become essential as the pandemic rages on. You may not always like to dig into a traditional English breakfast that contains a lot of greasy items. But you can always eat eggs right in the morning to give your body a healthy start. How about a delicious egg half fry, something not too oily, yet delights your taste buds? Besides, it is quite easy to make with no heavy cooking skills involved: it will be on your plate within 5 minutes. Go ahead and make the simplest breakfast that you can enjoy every day of your life.
What is it?
Having an egg half fry beside a buttered piece of toast and an obligatory glass of tea/coffee is a decent, protein-rich breakfast that will leave you raring to go. This dish is a popular street food as well and is called ‘bull’s eye’ in several parts of India. The British prefer to ask for a sunny side up when they want to order the half fry.
A properly cooked half fry will be opaque and perfectly set, nestling a soft yolk in the center. A single poke will have the yolk oozing out. Buttered toast dipped in runny yolk offers a unique mix of flavours!
History of the half fry
Eggs have always been a part of every meal. We’ve relished it since the dawn of civilization. However, the credit for inventing the technique of frying the perfect egg, with a runny yolk in the center of a perfectly set layer consisting of egg whites goes to the French chef, Fernana Point. Revered as the father of French cuisine, Point was a fanatic about cooking eggs properly. He believed that the best sunny side up needed loads of butter to attain the right taste and texture.
Indians were quick to incorporate this dish in their cuisine and rechristened it as an egg half fry. The street version available across India today may not follow Point’s exact half fry recipe, but the taste has always remained a winning factor.
Want to whip up a hot dish of egg half fry? Order some fresh eggs from Licious and follow our tried and tested half fry recipe. Click some photos while you are at it and post and tag us on Instagram! #MadeWithLicious
|Cook Time||5 minutes|
- Place a pan over medium heat.
- Add the oil or butter.
- Wait for a minute to heat it. Test the heat by adding a drop of water. The oil/butter will be ready if it sizzles instantly.
- Hold the egg carefully over the hot pan and crack it open gently. You may want to break the egg in a separate bowl if you are scared of the yolk mixing with the white of the egg.
- Lower the heat and wait until the egg white solidifies and becomes perfectly set.
- The yolk should remain runny with the yellow color unaltered.
- Remove the pan from the heat and slide it gently onto a plate.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper and serve it hot with toasted bread. You may eat it with parathas, appams, or dosas if you so wish.
The cooking time is approximately 5 minutes. You can cover the pan with a lid if you want it done more quickly. A hot and delicious egg half fry will soon be waiting for you. Enjoy the best protein for breakfast!
I love ur receipe
Yay, thank you! Give it a try and let us know how it was.