Sausages and frankfurters are a staple in most cuisines. Apart from being a regular at breakfast tables, they are also included in many other recipes as well. Super easy to prepare, these two types of cured meats are delicious on their own or great when added to other dishes. Frankfurters and sausages are available in different varieties. However, there is often confusion about whether both are the same or not.
If you’ve ever wondered what is the difference between a frankfurter and a sausage, then here you’ll find the answer. Here’s everything you need to know about these two super delicious cold cuts!
What Is a Sausage?
Sausage is basically ground or minced meat mixed with salt, seasonings, preservatives, fat, and sometimes even breadcrumbs or grains. Some sausages are available in bulk form or filled into a casing. Sausages are sold either fresh or fully cooked, smoked, dried, or cured.
Sausage| Description, Types & Ingredients| Basics of Sausage Making
Originally, sausages were first made as a smart way to preserve way, but today it has become a popular food across the globe. Sausages can be made using any type of meat; however, fat and ground pork are the common base used in traditional sausages. Today, sausages are made using chicken and seafood as well.
Sausages are made by grinding pork, poultry or game meat with seasonings and salt. It is then stuffed into a casing or container. Sausages that are not wrapped in a casing can be made into small balls or patties. These can then be grilled, pan-fried, or baked. Fresh sausages are cooked by braising, grilling, broiling, pan-frying, or roasting. After cooking, sausages can be sliced or served whole and added to dishes. Smoked and cured sausages come pre-cooked, so these can be eaten as is or added to other dishes.
The Different Types of Sausages
- Fresh sausages: These sausages come uncooked or pre-cooked. They are either sold in a casing or bulk. Italian sausage, breakfast sausage, and black pudding are examples of fresh sausages.
- Dried sausages: These types of sausage do not require cooking. They have a concentrated flavour and hard texture.
- Smoked sausages: These sausages are available pre-cooked and smoked. They often have a very strong flavour.
What Is a Frankfurter? Is A Frankfurter A Hot Dog?
Frankfurter is a parboiled sausage that is either made with pork and wrapped in a casing. Americans call them Vienna or wiener sausages. Sometimes they are also referred to as hot dogs. The meat is usually seasoned with salt, garlic, sugar, pepper, nutmeg, and mustard. Frankfurters are cured and smoked. They are usually cooked by heating them in hot water for a few minutes before serving. Sometimes they are also cooked on grills or lightly smoked for that delicious smoky taste! Traditionally, frankfurters are served with mustard, bread, horseradish and potato salad.
Difference Between A Frankfurter and A Sausage
- Sausage is made with minced pork or other types of meats. The meat is often combined with other ingredients and seasonings and then stuffed in a casing. On the other hand, a frankfurter is a parboiled slim sausage in a casing that’s traditionally made with pure pork. However, chicken frankfurters are also available.
- Sausages can be cooked using different methods – boiling, pan-frying, grilling, roasting, etc. Frankfurters are usually cooked in hot water for a few minutes and then served. They can also be grilled or smoked.
- Animal intestines are usually used to make sausage casings. However, they can have different types of casings as well. Traditionally, frankfurters come in sheep casings.
Buy Licious Sausages and Frankfurters
At Licious, we offer different types of frankfurters and sausages that you can choose from. Our cold cuts are made from high-grade, fresh meats that are free from any added chemicals or artificial preservatives. The meat is always fresh, never frozen. Your order is hygienically vacuum-packed in tamper-proof packages and delivered quickly to your doorstep.