Apart from beautiful beaches, Goa is second-best known for its seafood. The curries and fish fry recipes here are highly influenced by the erstwhile Portuguese rule. The sour and mild hot flavours make the Goan curries distinct. However, you don’t have to visit Goa, especially to taste the authentic curry. You can easily make Goan Fish Curry using the traditional ingredients right at home in less than 30 minutes. Keep reading to know how!
|Prep Time||5 minutes|
|Cook Time||15 minutes|
- 400 gms fish of your choice Bengali cuts
- ½ cup thinly sliced onion
- 1 Slit green chilli
- 8 Kokum
- A small ball of tamarind
- 3 dried Kashmiri Red Chillies
- ¾ cup grated coconut
- 1 tbsp Coriander Seeds
- 3 garlic cloves
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- ¼ tsp Cumin seeds
- salt to taste
- Thoroughly wash the fish and pat dry completely. Season it with salt and set aside for 10 minutes. Once done, again wash the fish.
- In a small bowl, soak tamarind in lukewarm water. Add a pinch of salt in sliced onions and crush the onion slices to soften them. Blend coriander seeds, cumin seeds, garlic, turmeric, dried red chillies and coconut with some water to get a fine curry paste.
- In a pot, heat some oil and add green chillies and the ground paste. Squeeze out the onion water and add the onions to the same. Sauté on low flame for a few seconds and then add tamarind water by squeezing the ball of soaked tamarind. Stir well and let it simmer.
- Then add kokum and switch the flame to medium. Cover it with a lid and bring it to a boil. Give it a quick stir and add in the fish pieces. Add salt, gently stir and simmer uncovered for about 5 minutes or until the fish is cooked.
- Garnish with chopped coriander and serve hot with white steamed rice.
You can also use coconut milk instead of grated coconut.
Share your version of this recipe
If you make Goan Fish Curry at home, share your version of the recipe with us.
Frequently Asked Questions
What fish is best for Goan curry?
You can use Salmon, Tuna, Basa, Pomfret, Red Snapper or Hilsa for this curry.
How long can Goan Fish Curry last in the fridge?
You can preserve the curry in the fridge for about 3 to 4 days. For this, quickly store the curry in an air-tight container and refrigerate it within 2 hours after cooking it.