One of the best things about visiting the beach is being able to enjoy the delicious variety of beach food. You can choose from so many different kinds of snacks (roasted corn, fried prawns and more!) and their flavours are magically enhanced with the views of the mesmerising waves. But now, after the pandemic, it’s a lot safer to enjoy these treats in the comfort of your home. In this recipe, we’re covering a beachside favourite – Rava Fish Fry.
What is Rava Fish Fry?
Essentially, a rava fry is when the seafood is marinated, coated in semolina flour (a.k.a. rava) and then deep or shallow fried. This leaves a perfectly crispy crust on the fish with no batter required. This preparation is very popular in Mumbai, Goa and the Konkan region. The process takes 20-30 minutes to complete, making it a super quick recipe to enjoy for lunch or dinner! It’s also very customizable, you can use a variety of fish cuts for this dish. In this recipe, we have used our boneless Tilapia fillet, which is perfect for fussy children to enjoy or if you are new to eating fish and seafood.
Tips for cooking a delicious Rava Fish Fry
- You can make the marinade in advance and store it in an airtight container, in your fridge.
- Don’t marinate the fish for too long! 10-15 minutes is more than enough. In this recipe, we coat the fish with the marinade and immediately toss it into the rava mixture.
- Shallow-fry the fish. This saves you time and you will use a lesser amount of oil.
- Most importantly – use the freshest cuts of fish from Licious to give you the most authentic taste of enjoying a fish fry, by the beach!
Watch how to cook Rava Fried Fish below:
- 2 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- Salt - to taste
- 1/2 tsp Haldi
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 cup semolina flour/rava
- 4 tilapia fillets
- 1/4 cup oil for frying
- 1 wedge of lime
- Mix the ingredients of the marinade together. Cut the tilapia fillets into pieces if necessary and coat them with the marinade.
- Pour the semolina flour onto a flat tray. Take the pieces of marinated fish and coat them in the flour. Set aside for 5 minutes.
- Heat 1/4th cup oil in a non-stick frying pan. Place 2-3 pieces of the fish at a time and fry on both sides until golden brown.
A dish as yummy as this HAS to be shared on Instagram, so, do post, tag us using #MadeWithLicious, for a chance to get featured on our page!