Named after the Island of Sardinia in the Mediterranean, Sardines are quite popular among home cooks and top chefs alike. Sardines are firm-bodied fish that do not have an overpowering ‘fishy’ taste. They are small and silvery and are perfect for a multitude of cooking methods.
The Indian Oil Sardine or Tarli is a type of ray-finned Sardine that you can find in the Indian Ocean. Tarli fish contains omega-3 fatty acids and is dense in nutrients. The tarli fish contains calcium and is an excellent source of protein.
Tarli has many names depending on region and native areas like Mathi, Kavalai, Chaalai, Mathi, Washi, Pedvey Padwa, and Boothai. Of course, tarli fish is a renowned delicacy and makes for some excellent seafood recipes.
Any meal with Sardines is a champion’s choice!
Considering the many health benefits of sardines, people use it in various cuisines across the country, famous in coastal areas and cityscapes alike. People who enjoy tarli surely love the crispy flavour and taste of tarli fish fry. As part of many cuisines like Mangalore and Kerala, the tarli fish curry is a household name.
So how do you prepare tarli fish? There are many ways, depending on your choice of flavour but here is a recipe that is sure to win your heart. It cooks fast and it is a flavoursome complement to your favourite rice, salad, or tapioca.
- 250 grams Sardine (Mathi), or more
- 30 grams Rava (Semolina)
- vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon salt depending on quantity of tarli fish
- 2 teaspoons red chilli powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- Juice of 2 lemons
- Marinate Tarli fish: Add salt, red chilli powder, turmeric and lemon juice in a bowl and mix into a smooth paste. Add the Tarli fish and coat it well with the marinade paste. Keep aside for 30 minutes.
- Fry the rava coated Tarli fish: Add 1-2 tablespoons of oil in your frying pan over medium heat, take rava in a separate dish and coat your Tarli fish pieces by rolling it into the rava. Once the oil is hot, add the rava coated fish into the frying pan. Repeat this process until all your fish is in the pan. Cook both sides of the Tarli fish till it is golden-brown and has a crispy coating.
Serve hot with wedges of lemon and onions, as you please. Just like that, your Tarli fish fry is ready.
Feel free to add or reduce spices depending on your choice. You may also use mustard seeds in the frying pan before the rava coated Tarli fish goes in. You can even fry Tarli fish with just turmeric, salt and pepper, it tastes good.
Let us know in the comments how you liked it. Post your recipe and culinary masterpieces on Instagram with#MadeWithLicious. We would love to explore your culinary creativity.