#Momchef: Junko Ravindran
Craving #MaaKaKhana? Try out this delicious recipe that’s been lovingly shared with us as part of our Mother’s Day campaign. We’re sure you’ll feel this mother’s love on your plate when you eat it. Enjoy!
What’s so special about this dish? Here’s what Mako has to say:
“It’s delicious comfort food.”
- 2 Dry red chillies
- 2 Cloves garlic
- 1 Inch Ginger
- 2 Green Onions/Scallions
- 2 pieces medium size Eggplant
- 1 Tbsp Vegetable oil neutral flavour
- 300 gms Minced Chicken
- 2 ½ Tbsp Doubanjiang spicy chili bean sauce/broad bean paste
- 2 Tbsp Mirin / Chinese cooking wine
- 1 Tbsp Miso optional
- 1 Tbsp Oyster Sauce
- ½ Tbsp Soy Sauce
- 1 Tsp Sesame oil roasted
- 1 Tsp Potato Starch/Cornstarch
- 1/2 Piece Chicken Bouillon
- 5 Tbsp Water
- Cook the rice before you start this dish.
- Cut the eggplant into 1-inch cubes and soak in salt water for 10 mins.
- Using paper towel dry the eggplant and fry in the wok.
- Combine all the ingredients for Seasonings (2 ½ Tbsp Chili Bean Sauce,2 Tbsp mirin, 1 Tbsp miso, 1 Tbsp. oyster sauce, ½ Tbsp soy sauce, 1 tsp sesame oil, 3 Tbsp water) in a bowl and mix well together.
- Mix 2 tablespoons of water with the potato starch
- Mince the garlic cloves and ginger finely.
- Cut the green onions into small pieces. In a large frying pan, heat vegetable oil on medium heat and saute garlic and ginger and add two dry red chillies when the ginger and garlic release an aromatic smell. Make sure you don't burn them. Once they are fragrant, add the minced chicken and break it up with a spatula or wooden spoon.
- When the meat is no longer pink, add the Seasoning mixture and stir thoroughly.
- Once the sauce is back to boiling, add the eggplant and gently coat the eggplant with the sauce. Stir frequently, without breaking the eggplant, until it is cooked.
- Add the potato/ corn starch mixture, to thicken the gravy.
- Add the green onions and mix just before taking the pan off the heat. Serve immediately
- This is served with a bowl of hot steamed rice (Japanese / jasmine rice)