If there a fish that appears on everything from Caesar salad to pizza,It is none other than anchovies or nethili fish. They are said to be a magical component in cooking. They have a salty, delicious taste. They are usually stir-fried in tomato sauce or fried in olive oil. They’re also delicious when cooked or grilled with a variety of seasonings.
Anchovies are a type of saltwater forage fish found in the Mediterranean and Black Seas, and they are quite popular in the region’s cuisine. Anchovies seafood are frequently mistaken for white-fleshed sardines. However, anchovies have a stronger flavour than sardines. Apart from anchovies fish there are also a variety of healthy Indian fish that you must try.
Here’s more about all the fish varieties, information about anchovies and how you may source supreme quality anchovies.
10 healthiest Indian fish varieties and why you must have them
- Indian salmon or rawas: Rawas is a popular and widely consumed edible fish known for its pink to orange meat and mild flavour.
- Catla: This fish may make your dishes pleasantly tasty since it is a lean, low-calorie source of protein with very little fat.
- Pink perch or rani: Pink perch has a high protein content. It’s an excellent alternative for those seeking high-protein food.
- Indian mackerel or bagda: Known for its rich, buttery texture, Bagda, or Indian mackerel, is high in omega-3 and selenium, both of which are beneficial to cardiovascular health.
- Hilsa/Ilish/Pulasa: Used for making speciality dishes, the flavour of this fish is pleasantly distinct from others. Whether the Bengal’s sorse ilish bhapa or South India’s tangy and spicy pulusu curry, this is a one-of-a-kind delicacy that is enjoyed all over the country.
- Seer Fish/King Fish/Surmai: Surmai, or royal mackerel, is the king of the Indian Ocean, abundant in protein, vitamins, and minerals. Surmai is a kind of mackerel that is high in protein, omega-3 fatty acids, and other nutrients.
- Pomfret/Pamphlet: Fried or curried, this exotic delicacy is worth savouring! Pomfret is also called Indian butterfish that is found throughout South Asia, including the Indian Ocean. Pomfret is a non-oily fish with white flesh that is really tasty.
- Crab: Love the meaty texture of crab? Then you will be glad to know that this beloved seafood is high in vitamins and minerals, as well as omega-3 acids, while being low in fat.
- Prawns: Prawns are not only delectable but are healthy too. Prawns, which are high in protein and low in calories, might be your go-to meal if you want to make some deliciously scrummy dishes quickly.
- Anchovies: Anchovies are small, nutrient-dense fish with a long list of health advantages. They may be used in a variety of recipes and meals. Iron and calcium are found in abundance in this fish. Anchovies are very high in omega-3 fatty acids. Along with salmon, tuna, sardines, and mackerel, anchovies are classified as oily or fatty fish.
Regardless of the type of fish you eat, they all have one thing in common: protein. Now, coming back to Anchovies, here is some more additional information that might interest you.
Nethili – buy fresh fish online
They are invaluable for adding depth of flavour and a meaty backbone to, well, pretty much everything since they are a concentrated supply of glutamic and inosinic acid — two molecules responsible for initiating our experience of savoriness. Different types of anchovies are available in jars or cans, but fresh anchovies are mild, plump, and briny which add more depth to the recipe.
Luckily we stock a fresh anchovies that are sourced daily from approved local fishing boats. They are passed through 150+ safety & quality checks, cut & cleaned by experts, vacuum packed and home delivered speedily. If you’re looking fo fresh anchovies, click the button below.