Mutton Rezala is a well-known Bengali dish made with mutton marinated in yoghurt and cooked in a white curry. It is one of the most flavourful and aromatic mutton dishes, and can be relished with paratha, naan or biryani. An ideal dish for a weekend meal, parties or family gatherings, this recipe can be made using spices commonly found in almost every Indian kitchen. To know more, read ahead!
Buy Mutton Curry-Cut online on Licious. Explore our website for a range of other fresh red meat options for lamb or goat cuts such as goat ribs, lamb legs, soup bones and more! Prepare your next delicious recipe with Licious!
|Prep Time||10 minutes|
|Cook Time||60 minutes|
- 3 Bay leaves
- 4 Dry red chillies
- 4 black peppercorns
- 1- inch Cinnamon
- 4 cloves
- 4 cardamoms
- 1 tbsp ghee
- 2 tbsp onion paste
- 2 tbsp poppy seeds soaked in 4water soaked in 4 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp cashew paste
- 1 tbsp melon seeds paste
- 1 tsp Nutmeg powder
- 1 tsp crushed mace
- 1 tsp Sugar
- salt as needed
- 4 tbsp ghee
- In a bowl, add mutton and all the marinade ingredients and mix well. Cover the marinated mutton using a plastic wrap and refrigerate it for at least an hour.
- In a pressure cooker, heat ghee and add all the tempering ingredients and let them crackle. Add the marinated mutton and sauté for about 3-4 minutes on high flame. Add about a cup and a half water, mix well and boil. Then close the lid and pressure cook for a couple of whistles or until the mutton is half cooked.
- Grind the soaked poppy seeds to make a fine paste. In a pan, heat ghee and add onion paste. Sauté until the raw aroma goes away and the colour changes to golden. Add the poppy seed paste, melon seed paste and cashew paste and sauté for another 2-3 minutes until the ghee starts separating from the sides.
- Add the nutmeg powder and crushed mace to this curry paste and stir well. Then add the cooked mutton mixture and fry for about 5 minutes. Cover the pan and continue cooking until mutton is well cooked. Finally, add sugar and salt as per your taste and switch off the flame.
- Garnish with a dollop of ghee on the top and serve hot with whole wheat lachha paratha and onion salad.
Recipe Tip You can also add a tablespoon of green chilli paste or red chilli powder for an extra spicy flavour. Share your version of this recipe Every house has a unique mutton rezala recipe with a touch of their cooking style and a couple of distinct ingredients. This was ours in the simplest way possible. What’s yours? Share your version of the recipe with us. Frequently Asked Questions What can I use in place of ghee and still maintain the authentic flavour? You can use butter and mustard oil instead of ghee to maintain the authentic flavour of this dish. How can I cook the mutton faster and make it tender? Use about two tablespoons of raw papaya paste if available. It works as a meat tenderiser and will make the mutton tender.