Chicken Ishtu is a popular Kerala-style chicken stew prepared with chicken, coconut milk, veggies, and spices. It’s an easy recipe that needs simple ingredients. You can prepare this nutritious dish in 30 minutes for a buffet, potluck, party, or game night with friends.
Prepping the ingredients ahead of time is a good idea if you’re looking to prepare this recipe quickly. Best served with appam, hoppers, and rice; you can also enjoy it with chapati or naan. The amazing authentic flavours of this dish will surely impress your near and dear ones, so make sure to give it a try!
Check out the easy Chicken Ishtu recipe below and follow it step-by-step!
Buy Licious Chicken Curry Cut – Small Pieces
To cook this authentic chicken Ishtu recipe, try our Licious Chicken Curry Cut, a mix of small pieces of breast, bone-in, wing, thigh meat, and leg. This curry cut pack comprises around 13 to 16 pieces of chicken, perfect for cooking smaller portions. These pieces turn out tender and juicy once cooked. Use our curry cut pieces to make dhaba-style chicken curry, Andhra chicken curry, Mughlai chicken, and more.
Our chicken curry cut is obtained from pasture-raised healthy chickens. All our meats & seafood go through 150+ safety and quality checks. Free from hormones, chemicals, or antibiotic residue, our chicken is fresh, never frozen! To maintain freshness, we ensure constant temperature controls between 0-4℃. The chicken is cut, cleaned, and hygienically vacuum-packed in tamper-proof packages and delivered to your doorstep. Our fresh chicken curry cut lets you enjoy your favourite curry recipes!
|Prep Time||30 minutes|
|Cook Time||60 minutes|
- 750 grams of chicken curry cut
- 2 green cardamoms
- 3 cloves
- 1- inch Cinnamon
- 3 black peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups thinly sliced onion
- 1 tsp finely chopped ginger
- 1 tsp finely chopped garlic
- 2 slit green chillies
- 10 to 12 curry leaves
- cup ¼cubed potatoes
- cup ¼cubed carrot
- 1 cup Thin coconut milk
- 2 tbsp cashew nut paste
- 1 cup thick coconut milk
- For tempering
- 1 tbsp Coconut Oil
- 4-5 small onions sliced
- 10 Curry leaves
- 3 tbsp Coconut Oil
- Heat coconut oil in a pan.
- Once hot, add cloves, cardamom, cinnamon, bay leaf, and peppercorn. Fry well.
- Add ginger, garlic, and onion, and fry until translucent.
- Add curry leaves and green chillies and fry for a minute.
- Now, add the chicken, thin coconut milk, and salt. Cover and cook for about ten minutes.
- Add carrots and potato and cook well until the veggies and chicken are done.
- Add the thick coconut milk and cashew nut paste and cook for three to four minutes.
- For tempering, heat coconut oil in a small pan.
- Once hot, add the curry leaves and onion. Fry well until golden brown.
- Pour the hot tempering over the curry.
- Serve with appam, hoppers, or rice. Enjoy!
- Things to remember
- For the perfect taste, make this chicken curry in coconut oil.
- Fresh homemade coconut milk gives the best taste. However, you can also use canned coconut milk to make this curry.
- Make sure to use bone-in pieces for a rich flavour and taste.
- You can also make this delicious recipe using fish, prawns, or mutton.
- You can make this recipe with the vegetables you prefer.
- Do not skip the coconut milk, as it’s the main ingredient that forms the base of this gravy.