The barracuda fish is one of the most unique species of fish found in the world. They have different habitats than other fishes. They’re mostly found in the Atlantic Ocean and parts of Southeast Asia. They are also found in the Western Pacific Ocean and the Caribbean Sea.
On average, a barracuda fish grows between 4-6 feet in length. The main eating habits of the fish include preying on other smaller fish. Bot many people in India know much about barracuda. We, at Licious, are here to clear all your doubts regarding the barracuda fish. There are also tons of barracuda fish health benefits that you should be aware of.
Barracuda Fish: General Information
The barracuda fish have long and slender bodies. They are mostly found in temperate regions of the ocean. They have smaller scales as compared to other fishes. Moreover, one striking feature stands out for this species. It has a strong and jutting lower jaw that is full of teeth. The mouth of the fish is large and prominent in the body.
The eating habits of the fish depend upon the consumption of other smaller fishes like mullets and grunts. This makes these fishes carnivorous. However, they do consume plant matter as well. Only the smaller forms of barracuda fish are treated as food and sold commercially in the markets. The larger varieties are said to be dangerous to humans as they have been involved in various attacks on swimmers.
What are the health benefits of Barracuda Fish?
Many amazing barracuda fish benefits make it different from the other fishes found in tropical regions. They are mentioned below:
- The consumption of barracuda fish helps in the fast building of muscle mass in the body due to its protein content.
- It is rich in Vitamin B2 which helps in the proper functioning of the body.
- Vitamin B2 is also essential in preventing high blood pressure, diabetes, cardiovascular diseases, and even insomnia.
- Due to the presence of Omega-3 fatty acids, the fish also helps in the production of red blood cells in the body.
Interesting Facts Related To Barracuda Fish
- It can grow as long as 2 metres in length.
- The fish can live up to 15 years.
- They are popularly known as the Tigers of the Ocean.
- The females are bigger than the males of the species.
- It can weigh as much as 50-55 Kg.
- The scientific name of the fish is Sphyraena.
- It is a saltwater fish.