Whether Friday nights with friends or kids birthday parties, chicken satay is a perfect dish to serve as a starter or snack. Super easy to make, you can prepare it within 40 minutes. With the goodness of coconut milk and peanut butter sauce, this rich-in-flavours dish is loved by all. To learn how to make this dish, continue reading.
|Prep Time||30 minutes|
|Cook Time||10 minutes|
- 500 Gms Chicken Breasts
- 1/2 Inch ginger
- 165 Ml coconut milk
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 Zest And Juice Of Lime
- 1 Tsp honey
- 1 Tbsp Soy Sauce
- 1 Tbsp Curry Powder Or Garam Masala
- 3 Tbsp smooth peanut butter
- 1 Tsp oil
- 1 cucumber
- 2 Tbsp white vinegar
- 1 Tbsp Castor Sugar
- sweet chilli sauce As Needed
- A Bunch Picked Coriander Leaves
For Chicken Satay
For cucumber salad
- Peel the ginger and finely grate it. Repeat with the garlic and lime zest. Add these ingredients into a bowl. Add lime juice with honey, soy sauce, curry powder and peanut butter. Mix well and add a little bit of water if it’s too stiff. Set aside 2/3rd for the sauce.
- Place the chicken in a zip-lock bag or in between two plastic wraps. With a rolling pin or a meat mallet, pound the chicken until it’s even and flat. Cut the chicken into strips.
- Dip the chicken into the remaining 1/3rd marinade and stir well. Cover the chicken with a plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 3 hours. Pour the coconut milk into the pan and mix in the 2/3rd marinade that you had set aside. Heat the sauce gently while stirring for a few minutes.
- Put the chicken strips on the skewers. Heat the grill at high heat and brush a baking tray with oil. Line up the skewers on the tray and then grill them for about 10 minutes. Turn occasionally, until lightly charred.
- Using a peeler, peel the cucumber into ribbons. Mix all the salad ingredients in a bowl and toss in the cucumber ribbons.
- Serve chicken satay hot with cucumber salad and some lime wedges.
Do not skip the pounding step, as it flattens and tenderises the chicken, helping it cook evenly. Use peanut butter at room temperature, as it will mix easily.
Share your version of this recipe
What’s your recipe for Chicken Satay? Share your version of the recipe with us.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I cut the chicken for skewers?
Cut the chicken breast diagonally into strips so that you can arrange them into S-shape on the skewers.
Can I use something else instead of Peanut Butter?
You can use a sauce made from sunflower seed butter and coconut milk as an alternative.