Anything crunchy and pan-fried is always a winner, especially when it has juicy and tender chunks of fish and tender fillings. That’s why we have a delectable fish cake recipe for you today.
What is a fish cake?
Fish cakes are a decadent seafood delicacy that contains the goodness of potato chunks and an array of aromatic ingredients. They include chilli, garlic, green onion and more to provide a delicious flavour.
Origin of fish cakes
The origin of fish cakes dates back nearly 4,000 years to ancient China. However, Mrs Beeton’s famous fish cake recipe mentioned in her book “Household Management” calls for “cold potatoes” and “leftover fish”. Since the publication of her book in the 19th century, modern versions of fish cakes have come a long way. Now, they are served in upscale restaurants with gourmet ingredients and modern twists.
Order fresh boneless fish cubes from Licious
No matter the fish variety for cooking restaurant-styled fish cakes, our boneless fish cubes are a great choice. We source our fish from the day’s catch of approved local boats and immediately chill them to below 4°C to maintain freshness. Scaled and cleaned using RO water, our fish cuts pass through more than 150 quality checks. Moreover, they are hygienically packed. So order fresh boneless cubes from Licious to get the most out of fish cake flavour, taste and nutritional value.
|Prep Time||30 minutes|
|Cook Time||30 minutes|
- 400 gms Licious boneless fish cubes
- 2 large mashed potatoes
- 1 large egg
- 2 finely minced garlic cloves
- 3 tbsp sour cream
- 2 tbsp Softened butter
- 2 deseeded and finely chopped large red chillies
- 2 sliced green onions
- 3 tbsp Chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tbsp finely chopped parsley
- 1 tsp Sea Salt
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 tsp Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 1/2 tsp dry ground mustard
- 1 1/4 cups panko breadcrumbs for coating
- 1 cup Cooking oil (for frying)
- Homemade tartar sauce
- Bake potatoes: Bake the potatoes in an oven set to 220°C until they can be effortlessly pierced with a knife with no resistance.
- Sprinkle the boneless fish cubes with pepper and salt.
- In a large pan, melt butter over medium-high heat.
- Add the fish and then cook fish cubes for about 4-5 minutes.
- Transfer the cooked fish cubes to a rack to let them cool down.
- In a pan, add green onions, garlic, chilli and thyme to the leftover butter.
- Cook for a minute until the garlic turns golden.
- Pour over the mashed potato.
- Add salt and parsley, and then mash the potato with a wooden spoon.
- Add fish cubes and then gently stir through.
- Once cooled, shape the mixture into patties.
- Coat in flour and dip in egg, then coat in breadcrumbs.
- Heat oil in a pan over medium-high heat.
- In batches, cook fish cakes for about 2 minutes on each side till they turn golden. Transfer the fish cakes to a paper towel-lined tray.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Serve with salads, tartare sauce, lemon wedges, sour cream, and tomato ketchup.
Which is the best fish for preparing fish cake?
From salmon to trevally fish, you can pick any firm fish variety.
Can I use the leftover fish for preparing fish cake?
Yes. cooking a fish cake is the best way to use leftover fish. Cooking fish cakes with leftovers, be it fish, potatoes or any other vegetable mixture, ultimately prevents food wastage.
There are good quality fish cakes and great quality fish cakes, this recipe is for great fish cakes. Remember to share your version of this fish cake recipe with us on Instagram using the hashtag #MadeWithLicious. We'd love to see your dish and you just might win some Licious Cash.