Name a fast and simple dish that will make your guests believe you’re a gourmet chef! It’s the Italian-American delicacy – Creamy Lemon Chicken Piccata.
Though easy to prepare, it doesn’t cut corners on flavours and is enticingly wonderful. It originated in the United States in the 1930s and was said to have been invented by Italian immigrants. ‘Piccata’ is an Italian term meaning larded. It appears to be a translation of the French word pique (sharp, as in piquant) and indicates sliced meat or fish sautéed in a sauce comprising lemon, butter, and spices.
Lemon Chicken Piccata
Chicken breasts are seasoned, dusted in flour, cooked crispy golden and served with a tart lemon-butter-caper sauce from the pan drippings. This Chicken Piccata dish belongs in everyone’s culinary repertoire! So, read on to unfold a creamy lemon chicken piccata recipe and know the best way to bring out the optimum flavours from the recipe.
Chicken Breasts by Licious
We at Licious bring the meatier cuts of skinless, boneless chicken breasts packed in a new seal technology so that you can cook them right after opening the pack. Our Licious chicken is sourced from the bio-secure government-approved and selected for tender meat at the right size and weight. They go through 150+ quality checks, and the selected ones are cut, cleaned and hygienically vacuum-packed by experts. They are stored at a constant temperature of 0-4 degrees until it reaches you. Thus, your chicken is always fresh, never frozen.
|Prep Time||30 minutes|
|Cook Time||60 minutes|
- Licious Chicken Breasts
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp finely grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp of salt
- Cracked pepper
- For The Sauce:
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp butter
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- ¼ cup Chicken Stock
- 1½ cup half heavy cream you may also use evaporated milk
- ⅓ cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp capers you may use some more for garnishing
- 1 tbsp tsp cornstarch with 1water
- 2-3 tbsp Lime juice
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley
- Mix the flour and grated cheese in a small bowl. Rub the chicken breasts with salt and pepper, then coat them in the flour mix, shaking off the excess and setting them aside.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tbsp oil and 2 tbsp butter over medium heat until the butter has melted and the pan is hot.
- Fry the chicken until it is golden brown on all sides, cooked through, and no longer pink (about 3-4 minutes. It will depend on the thickness of the chicken).
- Place on a heated platter.
- Fry the minced garlic until fragrant (approx 1 minute) in the pan (spray with a bit of oil if necessary).
- Reduce the temperature to low-medium and stir in the stock and cream.
- Put the sauce to a slow boil and sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste before adding the capers and parmesan cheese.
- Cook for another 2 minutes, or until the sauce thickens. (If the sauce is just too watery for you, add the cornstarch and water combination to the middle of the pan and quickly stir it into the sauce.) It will instantly start to thicken).
- Put in the lemon juice and cook for another minute to blend. Add the chicken to the pan and let it simmer in the sauce for almost a minute to absorb the flavours.
- Serve with spaghetti, steamed veggies, rice or zucchini noodles. Garnish with more capers, parsley and lemon slices.
The key to bringing out this dish's unique flavours is to use only fresh and great-quality chicken. Here are a few tips for an easy lemon chicken piccata -
- Take the time, if necessary, to pound your chicken to the same size or thin it out. This will help the chicken get cooked quickly and evenly.
- Add cheese to the flour. Adding parmesan cheese to the flour gives the crust an excellent flavour.
- For a healthy chicken piccata, deglaze your pan with chicken stock instead of white wine, as this will help to reduce the amount of sugar in the meal.
- Chicken piccata is ideally served shortly after being dredged in the sauce so that some of the crispiness remains intact. After the chicken has been fried, don't let it sit for too long, or it will lose its crispiness.
It takes a lot of time and effort to cut the chicken breasts into the perfect sizes, clean them and debone them. So, how to make this recipe simply without compromising the taste of the chicken? Get skinless, juicy, chicken breasts from Licious! It comes without any artificial preservatives, hormones or antibiotic residue & is delivered right at your doorstep.
Try this delicious recipe at home and be sure to take a few pictures for Instagram and tag us using #MadeWithLicious for a chance to win Licious Cash. Enjoy!