If you love to delve into the savoury flavours of seafood, chances are high that you enjoy or love crabs. Have you ever tried the mouth-watering Mangalore Style Crab Curry? It is a popular delicacy finding its roots in Mangalore, India. It comprises a good mix of herbs, spices, and of course succulently sweet crab meat!
With several ingredients and a few steps to follow, your homemade, restaurant-like Mangalorean Crab Curry will be ready! This curry is a perfect dish to bring out during special occasions or family feasts. So, if you’re on a hunt for an ideal crab curry, we have curated an authentic Mangalorean Crab Curry recipe which is easy to follow.
What is Mangalorean Crab Curry?
Originating from Mangalore, India, the world-famous Mangalorean Crab Curry is a traditional curry that uses crabs and many spices. It looks yellow and orange in colour and cooks within 30 minutes. It is cooked using ingredients like grated coconut to add a rich texture, cumin seeds, turmeric, Kashmiri chillies, curry leaves, crabs, and an amalgamation of other ingredients for a mouth-watering delicacy.
This Mangalorean Crab Curry is made with real crab instead of crab-flavoured fish meat, and the result is irresistible and mouth-watering. You can serve it with rice for lunch. Order fresh crabs from our website, get them delivered to your doorstep and get cooking!
Licious Blue Crab
At Licious, we deliver fresh blue crabs which are tender, moist, and juicy. Our meat is always fresh and never frozen. Blue crabs are ideal for boiling, pan frying or grilling to prepare different types of curries.
If you’re planning to make Mangalorean Crab Curry, we recommend using our blue crabs, which are perfect for this dish. Our fish and seafood are from the day’s catch and undergo more than 150 quality checks so that you receive nothing but the best. Also, they are kept under controlled temperature to maintain their freshness.
|Prep Time||40 minutes|
|Cook Time||60 minutes|
- 1 tbsp Coriander Seeds
- 10-12 black peppercorns
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 5-6 Dry red chillies
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1 tsp saunf/fennel seeds
- ½ tsp Fenugreek Seeds
- 2 tsp oil
- coriander leaves to garnish
- Salt - to taste
For the curry
For the dry masala
- In a pan, heat some oil on a medium flame. Add garlic and chopped onions. Stir them for 2-3 minutes or until they turn golden brown.
- Add curry leaves and chopped tomatoes to the pan. Also, add the grated coconut. Fry the ingredients for some more time.
- Along with all the dry masala, add Licious blue crabs.
- Add salt as per taste. Cover the lid and let it simmer for 5-6 minutes.
- Add tamarind juice to the pan and cook it for 3 minutes. Also, add coconut milk to make the curry thick. Cook everything for 4-5 minutes. Keep stirring in between.
- Once the crab is cooked, turn off the flame. Leave everything untouched for some time, so the crab soaks up the gravy and becomes juicy.
- For added flavours, sprinkle some coriander leaves and onion rings.
Serving Suggestions: Serve with boiled rice. Garnish with mint leaves. If you liked this recipe, try your hand at Mangalorean Crab Curry and surprise your friends and family. Share your pictures with us on Instagram using #MadeWithLicious!