Branch out from your average chicken appetisers and give Teriyaki chicken a little room to tingle your taste buds. If you’re worried that cooking Teriyaki at home might not be up your alley, trust us, it’s easy peasy.
What Is Teriyaki Chicken?
Teriyaki refers to a style of cooking. It is derived from two Japanese words: Teri and Yaki. Teri refers to the shine from the melting sugar, and Yaki refers to grilling or broiling the meat. The word Teriyaki is also used to refer to a sauce or marinade made with soy sauce and sugar.
If you are looking for the perfect balance between a sweet and salty chicken, Teriyaki Chicken is perfect for you!
Can You Make It Without Sugar?
The simple answer to this question is no. The word Teri refers to the sugar in your sauce that creates a shine when your Teriyaki Chicken is glazed, so skipping the sugar won’t give you Teriyaki per se.
You could use alternatives like brown sugar, jaggery, or honey; or even reduce sugar quantity. But remember, it’s imperative to add sugar. This is where the essence of the dish lies.
What Kind of Meat Cuts Are Best For Teriyaki Chicken?
To achieve an authentic, wholesome taste of your flavourful Teriyaki Chicken, always opt for boneless chicken. Breasts and thighs are a great option if you’re looking at boneless chicken cuts. The meat is tender and juicy and will absorb the marinade beautifully. To get a deeper understanding of what we mean, check out our recent article to find out how you can make your boneless chicken flavourful. Read now.
What Is The Easiest And Best Method To Make Teriyaki Chicken?
You can cook authentic Teriyaki in plenty of ways. It can be broiled, grilled, or even pan-fried. In this recipe, we’ve chosen to pan-fry the chicken so it’s easy and quick.
What Can You Eat With Teriyaki?
Teriyaki is a wholesome filling dish all on its own. However, to enjoy it thoroughly, we suggest you pair the chicken with steamed broccoli and rice. It serves as the perfect comfort food in the warmth of your home!
Now that we’ve answered your questions, let’s get into creating our dish. We’ve put down an easy Teriyaki Sauce Recipe along with an Easy Chicken Recipe.
You can pair this chicken with steamed rice and broccoli. Go ahead and give this recipe a personal touch and add in steamed or grilled vegetables of your choice!
Remember to order fresh and delicious boneless chicken thighs or breasts to give your Teriyaki recipe the perfect taste.
- Sesame oil - 1 tablespoon
- Honey - 1 ½ tablespoon
- Minced Garlic - 2 cloves
- Finely minced ginger - 2 tablespoon
- tablespoon Cornstarch - 1 ½
- cup Soy Sauce - 1
- tablespoon Vegetable oil - 1
- pieces boneless skinless chicken thighs cut into small- ½ Kg.
- Salt - 1 tablespoon
- Freshly ground black pepper - ½ tablespoon.
- Sesame seeds - 1 ½ tablespoon
- Finely chopped spring onions for garnish
- In a non-stick pan, mix sesame oil, honey, minced garlic, cornstarch along with soy sauce.
- Simmer the mixture on low-medium heat until it thickens.
- Turn off the flame and let it cool.
- Add oil in another medium-sized frying pan over medium flame.
- Place the chicken evenly around the pan.
- Season the chicken with salt and ground black pepper.
- Let the chicken cook on a medium flame for about 8- 10 minutes.
- When the chicken is almost cooked and is golden brown, pour the Teriyaki Sauce over it.
- Give it a good mix gently.
- Let the Teriyaki Chicken cook for another 4-5 minutes on medium flame.
- Garnish with sesame seeds and finely chopped spring onions.