Dhaniya or coriander is a staple herb in every Indian household. Whether you’ve bargained with your vendor to throw in some free dhaniya after a big purchase of veggies or whether you’ve got a big stock of it lying around, you’ve come to the right place to put it to use. If you’re on the lookout for chicken and coriander recipes, search no more.
This heavenly combination of chicken, coriander, and cumin makes for a hearty lunch for your family. Famous in Cochin and other parts of South India, this dish weaves together the bold flavours of various Indian spices into a rich and scrumptious coriander chicken curry. This is a chicken-based dish with an easy spice blend that pairs well with roasted chicken, highlighting the flavours of coriander and cumin.
This coriander chicken recipe uses boneless chicken thigh pieces. At Licious, our Boneless Chicken Thigh cuts are juicier, meatier, and tender. They are cut from the upper legs and are further cut into smaller pieces to make sure that they are boneless. These thigh cuts are perfect for slow-cooked curries like this recipe for the Cochin Coriander-Cumin Chicken.
Our meat is stored in temperature-controlled facilities at temperatures between 0-4 degrees Celcius. This ensures that our meat is always fresh, never frozen! Our chickens are raised on government-approved biosecure farms and are only given vegetarian feed. They are cut and cleaned by our experts and are antibiotic residue-free.
|Prep Time||10 mins|
|Cook Time||30 mins|
- 6-8 pieces Licious Boneless Chicken Thighs
- 1 cup Coriander leaves chopped
- 1 tsp ground cumin or 1cumin seeds
- ½ cup Mint leaves chopped
- 2-3 green chillies
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 Tomatoes peeled and roughly chopped
- 4-5 Curry leaves
- 2 tbsp white vinegar
- 1-2 pieces fresh ginger
- 4-5 cloves garlic
- 3 large onions roughly chopped
- ½ tsp ground cardamom or 4 cardamom pods
- ½ tsp ground cloves or 5-6 cloves
- ½ tsp ground black pepper or 5-6 peppercorns
- 3 tbsp ground coriander or 3 ½coriander seeds
- 1 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- ½ tsp anise seeds
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- salt to taste
- To get started with this coriander chicken curry, heat up a frying pan on medium heat.
- If you're using whole spices, add the cardamom, cumin seeds, peppercorns, cinnamon sticks, coriander seeds, and anise seeds to the heated pan.
- Stir them lightly for about 3 minutes until they pop.
- Grind these spices in a blender and add turmeric and nutmeg, along with salt to taste.
- If you're using powdered or ground spices, mix all of them together. This spice mix gives a flavourful kick to this chicken with coriander recipe.
- Coat the chicken pieces evenly with this mixture and let it marinate for at least 2 hours. This coriander chicken recipe works best if the marinated chicken is left overnight.
- Heat a large pan or wok over medium heat and add a little oil. Heat the oil until it sizzles.
- Add in the onions and saute them in the oil until they turn translucent.
- Add in the chicken pieces and stir this mixture and cook it for a couple of minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and curry leaves to the pan. Mix in half a cup of water followed by vinegar.
- Bring this to a boil. Reduce the heat to let the coriander chicken simmer and cover the pan with a lid.
- Let this chicken curry with coriander leaves cook for about 20 minutes until the chicken is soft.
- Blend the coriander, garlic, mint, and chillies together to form a thick paste. Mix this paste in with the chicken.
- Let this curry simmer for 5-10 minutes. Garnish this with some coriander leaves and you're done!
This coriander chicken curry recipe tastes best when served with some basmati rice or piping hot rotis. This dish has everything: the juiciness of the tender, cooked chicken paired with earthy flavours that taste like home! Order the Licious Boneless Chicken Thighs to get started with this recipe!