The crunchy first bite of a fried fish is the most blissful feeling for a seafood enthusiast. Crispy and spicy fried fish is an ideal side dish that can be served with simple ghee rice, jeera rice or coconut rice. It also makes for a great appetizer. You can use any variety of fish such as Salmon or Pomfret Fillet. However, for that extra crunch, you can use the double coating technique. The first coat is the marination itself. Want to know what the second coat is? Check out the recipe below:
|Prep Time||30 minutes|
|Cook Time||10 minutes|
- ½ kg fish fillet
- 1½ tbsp rice flour or gram flour besan
- 1½ tbsp semolina suji/rawa
- oil as required
- ½ tsp Ginger Paste
- ½ tsp Garlic paste
- ¾ tsp garam masala
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp red chilli powder
- salt as required
- Lemon Juice as required
- Mix all the marination ingredients in a bowl. Apply and coat this mix on the fish you are using for the dish. Lemon juice acts as the acidic component, which accelerates the marination process. However, it is essential to note that these ingredients also tenderise the fish. So, marinate the fish for at least 30 minutes.
- You can call this the second marination process. It adds an extra layer of crispiness to your fish fry. Add rice flour or gram flour and semolina in two different plates. Once the fish has absorbed the spice mix, you can start applying the blend of rice flour/gram flour and semolina. You can keep the fish aside for a few minutes until the coating gets soaked properly.
- Heat oil in a pan and place the marinated fish in the oil. Keep the stove on medium flame and shallow fry until both the sides of the fish turn dark brown or golden and crisp.
- You can garnish the fried fish with lemon wedges and onion rings. Serve the hot fried fish as an appetizer or a side dish with roti or rice and curry.
The cooking process has already begun during marination, so avoid overcooking the fish. Once the fish turns golden brown and forms a crispy crust on top, take the fish out and lightly pat it dry on a kitchen tissue to remove extra oil. You can sprinkle a little chaat masala to add an extra tang to the fried fish.
Share your version of this recipe
How do you add an extra crunch to your fish fry? Share with us!
Frequently Asked Questions
How long does it take to fry a fish?
It takes approximately 10-15 minutes to achieve a golden-brown, crispy fried fish.
What else can be used instead of flour for the crisp crust in a fish fry?
You can use cornmeal or corn starch instead of flour to coat the fish before you fry it.