Greek chicken gyros are an absolute must-try if you have never tried them before. Chicken gyros are made with finely cut, boneless pieces of chicken. The star of this recipe is the marinade made with lemon, yoghurt, oregano, and garlic which tenderises the chicken and gives it an enticing aroma and bursting flavour. The subtle flavours, smoky notes, and juicy texture of this chicken dish are just a few reasons you must try it. It is traditionally served with pita bread and tzatziki for the perfect blend of spicy and savoury bites.
Boneless Chicken Mini Bites
You can order fresh, never frozen chicken mini bites from Licious. Our expert meat technicians specifically cut cleaned boneless breast meat into bite-sized pieces for pizza, wraps, pasta & more.
At Licious, our chickens are raised on biosecure farms and contain no antibiotic residue or hormones. Additionally, your orders are home delivered in vacuum-sealed packages that help maintain freshness. All of your orders are temperature controlled between 0-4℃ and never frozen.
|Prep Time||30 minutes|
- 4-5 cloves of garlic
- 2 tsp white wine vinegar (you can also use Apple cider vinegar)
- 2 tsp Lemon Juice
- 2 tsp Greek Yoghurt
- 1 ½ tsp Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 ½ tsp Dried Oregano
- 1/2 salt
- A pinch of black pepper
For the marinade:
- Start by marinating the chicken with garlic, white wine vinegar, greek yoghurt, salt, dried oregano, black pepper, and lemon juice inside a zip lock bag.
- Gently massage the marinade over the chicken, and leave it for at least three hours. It is better if you let it marinate overnight.
- To make the tzatziki, cut the cucumber lengthwise and scrape away the seed part of the cucumber with a spoon.
- Grate the cucumber or blend it coarsely in a blender.
- Take a kitchen towel or paper towel, and use it to squeeze out any excess liquid from the cucumber.
- Place the grated cucumber in a bowl and add the garlic, lemon, extra-virgin olive oil, salt, pepper and yoghurt. Combine them well, and set them aside for about 20 minutes for all the flavours to combine.
- Once your chicken is marinated, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a grill pan, and add in the marinated chicken. You can also use an outdoor grill to do this.
- Cook the chicken for three minutes until golden brown. Once cooked, cover the chicken with foil and rest it for at least five minutes so the juices stay intact.
- Warm the pita bread or flatbread, and cut it in half. Start by adding diced cucumber, tomato, red onion, and fresh parsley leaves onto the bread. Slather the bread with a spoonful of tzatziki and top it off with the chicken.
- Don’t skip the yoghurt! The calcium and lactic acid in yoghurt are essential in the recipe to break down the protein and make your chicken tender on the inside and crispy on the outside.
- If you want extra spice, you can add coriander, cumin and paprika as well.
- Make sure to shake the excess marinade from the chicken before laying it on the skillet.
- You can also bake the chicken in your oven. Place the chicken on parchment paper and bake it at 190°C for about 20 minutes.
You just can't get enough of the smoky and mouth-watering flavour of this easy Greek chicken gyro recipe. These chicken tenders, filled with bright Greek flavours, will make a wholesome meal! In case you do not have a grill, you can even make the chicken on a cast-iron skillet or bake it in the oven as well.
So what are you waiting for? Order now and try out this delicious Greek chicken gyro recipe today! Please don’t forget to snap a few photos and share your version of the recipe with us via Instagram using the hashtag #MadeWithLicious!