An egg puff is a spice-filled pastry that people savour and celebrate in almost every state of Southern India. While egg puff around the world refers to specific snacks like the English Egglet, Hong Kong Puffs, and Pâte Feuilletée, India also has its own egg puff version. Crispy, crunchy, flaky, soft in the middle and a bite full of tasty ingredients make an egg puff a must-have on almost every bakery stand.
And if you have tried this pastry, you would want to know how to make an egg puff. You may have it with tea, coffee, juice, milkshake or soft drinks.
A Brief History of Egg Puffs
While some people attribute the modern puff pastry to Spanish, Arab and Moorish influences, historically, the ancient Greeks also loved this type of pastry. The Southern part of India has a long history of baking these snacks. A successor of Anglo-Indian cuisine, the egg puff quickly gained popularity in various parts of Kerala, Tamil Nadu, Karnataka and Goa, owing to its simple ingredients and unique preparation style.
Earlier, egg puffs and meat puffs were not too popular because ovens were still not common in homes. When bakeries and sweet shops along the street began to introduce oven-baked pastries, it became an instant hit.
Soon, egg puff recipe secrets spread like wildfire and today, almost every bakery in the South has a version of their special egg puff.
Order your eggs and get baking!
You’ll find fresh & cleaned eggs on Licious. Choose from classic, brown, quail eggs and more. All our eggs are naturally-laid and thoroughly quality checked before being safely packed & home-delivered to you!
|Prep Time||30 minutes|
|Cook Time||15 minutes|
- 1 medium onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 inch ginger
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp pepper powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 2 tbsp oil
For the masala:
- Take 2 cups of flour, add 1 tablespoon of sugar, ½ teaspoon salt, and mix well.
- Add/grate 200-250 grams of butter into your flour and combine till crumbs form.
- Add water and mix thoroughly to form the dough.
- Once firm, make round chapati-style balls and flatten the dough into rectangular shapes. You can cut the edges off around the pastry sheet to make them square.
- Cover your puff pastry sheets in film or foil and leave them in the fridge for 1-2 hours or overnight for best results.
- Now you have ready-made puff pastry sheets you can cut and shape into your desired size and style.
- Heat oil in a pan and add your curry leaves, sliced onions and saute for a few minutes. Once onions are a little soft, add salt to taste, minced garlic, minced ginger and stir the mixture on heat till the onions turn translucent.
- Add black pepper powder, chilli powder, turmeric and garam masala and fry until the oil starts separating from the masala mixture. On low heat, check for taste and add spice or salt to your liking. Once 100% satisfied, turn off the heat.
- Break an egg into a bowl and beat it with 1 teaspoon of water to make the egg wash. Keep it aside.
- Preheat your oven to 210°C. Or to 400°F.
- Get your egg wash from Step 2 ready.
- Divide the masala from Step 3 into equal portions, depending on how many pastries you make.
- Take your rectangular pastry sheets, cut them into the size you have chosen and begin to make a deck of masala and egg.
- Lay down a sheet, add masala in the middle of the rectangular sheet, add half of an egg and top it off with some more masala. Bring all corners of the pastry sheet to the top, with each corner overlapping the other to form a seal. Use egg wash from Step 2 to seal the top of the filled pastry sheet.
- Now gently rub egg wash onto the sealed puff, and place it over another sheet of pastry. Repeat the process of bringing all corners to the top and sealing the puff with egg wash. This extra layer will make your puff extra crispy.
- Once all your egg puffs are ready to go into the oven, place them on a baking sheet and put them in the preheated oven for 10-12 minutes. Bake until golden brown on the topmost layer.
- Voila! Your egg puffs are ready to eat!
Enjoy your day of baking and remember to tag us on Instagram with #MadewithLicious and you just might be featured on our page.