Protein is one of the nutrients that you need when you fall ill. There is no shortage of protein-rich foods today, but you just cannot ignore the benefits of fresh fish.People living near the coastal regions, especially in India, enjoy a satisfying meal of spicy, hot fish curry and steamed rice. This provides them with the required energy and helps their muscles to heal.
Fish curry is extremely popular across South East Asia as well as the Caribbean islands. The variety of curries made with both fresh and dry fish in India is pretty remarkable. If you ask, “How to make fish curry?”, you will get all sorts of answers depending on the locality. Make sure that you check out the relevant facts and make an informed decision before cooking a yummy fish curry.
What are the most popular fish used in curries?
Take a long, hard look at the variety of fish, big and small, and you are going to be spoilt for choice, especially on Licious. From Rohu to Catla and Perch, you will find it difficult to choose the best. You may also try Basa, Tuna, Salmon, and Red Snapper if you are eager to cook something different today.
It will be a sin to pass over the Hilsa if you are shopping in a Bengali stronghold. Similarly, Cod and Pomfret have their unique followers. Strive to learn the technique of cooking a perfect fish curry if you want to retain its nutritional value and enhance its taste. A solid chunk of fish immersed in gravy is sure to have your tummy growling in anticipation.
Al Licious all our Fish and Seafood is fresh, never frozen. Our meat experts pick the best fish based on colour, size and quality. The fish is then processed and delivered to you within 24 hours of being caught. Our meat technicians work hard to thoroughly clean, de-gut, descale and cut your fish to perfection. What does this mean for you? No prep needed! Use the fish straight out of the pack and into your pan, easy-peasy!
What are the common fish curry varieties of India?
Why wake up early to wade through the local fish market and haggle for the best pieces? Browse through the varieties available on Licious and order whole fish, fillets, or boneless cubes as needed. Once you’ve had your fish home-delivered, try any of the following curries:
Masor Tenga –
Use Rohu to prepare this lovely Assamese dish that is tangy and spicy at the same time.
Ilish Macher Jhol –
The silvery, soft fleshed Hilsa is cooked in a mustard paste. You can always tempt a Bengali with this dish.
Meen Alleppey Fish Curry –
Take a culinary trip to God’s Own Country, Kerala, and learn the art of cooking pomfret fillets with raw mangoes and hot chillies.
Fish Xacuti –
Use a host of masalas and desiccated coconut along with tamarind and red, hot chillies to create this Goan delicacy.
Do not forget to snap a photo before enjoying the fish curry. Post it on your Instagram page to receive instant likes and stand a chance to get featured on our page if you use the #MadeWithLicious.
So, how to cook fish curry?
|Prep Time||15 minutes|
|Cook Time||30 minutes|
- 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil/mustard oil
- 0.5 teaspoons of fresh fenugreek seeds (methi)
- 4 puréed medium tomatoes
- 4 teaspoons turmeric powder
- 0.5 teaspoon red chilli powder you can skip it if you dislike spicy food
- A handful of coarsely chopped coriander leaves (dhania)
- 0.5 teaspoon garam masala
- 600 gram firm white fish steaks
- 2-3 cloves garlic (peeled)
- 4 inch fresh ginger (peeled)
- 3/4 tsp cumin/jeera powder
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp ground mustard seeds
- Salt - to taste
- Water (as needed)
- Blend all the ingredients for masala in a mixer to make a paste.
- Heat oil in a saucepan and add fenugreek seeds. Wait until they splutter.
- Increase the heat slightly and add the masala paste. Stir and cook for 8-10 minutes until the oil leaves the side.
- Add all the other ingredients except the fish and cook on moderate heat until the oil bubbles on top. Use a teaspoon to remove the masala and taste. It should not be bitter or burnt.
- Add the fish steaks to the simmering paste and coat the steaks completely with a spatula.
- Reduce heat and cook for three more minutes.
- Add water and cover the pan with a lid.
- Let the fish cook for 5 minutes. Check whether the fish is cooked through and remove the gravy with the fish onto a serving dish.
- Sprinkle fresh coriander leaves on top and serve hot over a steaming bowl of rice.
Make sure that you visit the Licious website to source fresh fish and cook the most delicious fish curry without any trouble. Bon Appétit!