Kolkata certainly comes alive during the grand festival of Durga Puja. For the people of Kolkata, Durga Puja is not merely celebrating a festival. Instead, it is an emotion that extends beyond the limits of religion.
The advent of the Pujas brings a true gastronomic extravaganza. One of the iconic dishes among them is Kolkata’s mutton Rezela.
Let’s now learn how to experience extraordinary cooking with our cleaned, tender, and fresh Licious Goat Curry Cut.
Kolkata-Style Mutton Rezala
Rezala is a famous Mughlai dish and is more prevalent in Kolkata than in other cities of India. The dish dates back to the Nawabs of Awadh and the descendants of Tipu Sultan. They were banished to Bengal, added the Awadhi touch to the Bengal cuisine, and used soft pieces of mutton with ghee and kewra water. Bengalis preserved the essence of this Mughlai cuisine and kept it genuinely authentic.
How to Make Mutton Rezala
Aromatic with whole spices, a rich, moderately spicy yet slightly sweet and creamy yoghurt-based gravy, spiced with black pepper and dry red chilli, enhanced with subtle Keora with juicy, tender mutton. It is indeed loved at the very first bite for those trying Rezala for the first time. Now the question is what is the best Bengali Mutton Rezala banane ka tarika? To know this, read the Bengali Mutton Rezala recipe below, but before that, see the key to the best Mutton Rezala in the section below.
PERFECT MUTTON REZALA RECIPE
For the perfect Mutton rezala recipe, you must get the ingredients right. Ensure the key ingredients used are fresh and high quality, especially the main ingredient in the recipe – Mutton. Therefore, we at Licious have brought to you Rich Goat Curry Cut, a combination of bone-in & boneless pieces from the ribs, shoulders, and loins. These pieces have been cut, cleaned & trimmed by meat experts for convenience. Rich pieces that have a good amount of fat work well for a slow-cooked method as the fat absorbs the herbs and spices. Also, low heat will help bring out the aromas and avoid overcooking.
At Licious, our Mutton is pasture-raised and the meat is well-rested. The selected meat is then cut, cleaned and hygienically vacuum-packed by experts. It is kept at a constant temperature of 0-4°C to retain its freshness and is never frozen.
So, get your fresh, super tender goat curry cut from Licious and try out this Pujo special Kolkata style Mutton recipe.
|Prep Time||40 minutes|
|Cook Time||60 minutes|
- 500 g Licious goat curry cut large
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 cup Yoghurt
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 tbsp raw papaya paste
- Salt - to taste
- 1 pinch Nutmeg powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp Garam masala powder
- 1/2 tsp pepper powder
- 10 almonds Soaked and peeled
- 10 cashews Soaked
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 Whole dry red chillies
- 2 Bay leaves
- 1-2 green cardamom
- 6 cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 mace
- Grind the almonds and cashews along with the milk into a paste. Keep aside. Marinate the mutton with all the mentioned ingredients for 4-5 hours or preferably overnight.
- Heat oil and ghee in a cooker and temper with all the mentioned ingredients under "Tempering". Sauté for a few seconds.
- Add the marinated mutton and simmer on low flame till dry.
- Add 1 cup of water and pressure cook for 15 minutes on a low flame after the first whistle.
- Then add the almond-cashew paste and green chillies. Mix well and simmer, covered for 5-10 minutes or till you get the desired consistency.
- Switch off the flame and add rose water. Give it a stir.
- Garnish with coriander leaves. Serve with steamed rice, plain biryani, pulao, naan or tandoori roti.
So, go ahead and try out this spectacular recipe and do click a few photos for Instagram. Use #MadeWithLicious, we'd love to see your creations.