This South Indian Murrel Fish Curry Will Make Your Tummy Rumble!
Murrel Fish, or Koramenu fish, is one of India’s most widely consumed varieties of fish. It is also known as the snakehead, chevron snakehead or snakehead murrel. They are mainly found in South Asian countries. Apart from India, it is also consumed in China, Japan, and Bangladesh.
Koramenu fish curry is a popular dish in Tamil Nadu. The benefits of koramenu fish make it unique from the other varieties of fish in India. Numerous Koramenu fish benefits add to its delicate texture and delicious taste.
If you’re looking for a simple, easy-to-follow recipe for the Murrel fish curry, then we at Licious got you covered. You can serve this dish at luncheons, dinner parties, and any social gathering when you want to add an authentic touch to the food.
What is Koramenu Fish Curry?
The Koramenu Fish Curry is made with the help of murrel fish or snakehead fish. It is cooked over weekends in every household in the state. Fish Koramenu is also consumed in other parts of India, including Kerala, Telangana, West Bengal, and Karnataka.
The lip-smacking Murrel fish curry is cooked using many vegetables like onions and tomatoes. They are sautéed with other spices; mustard, cumin, and fenugreek and garnished with cilantro leaves for an enhanced taste and presentation.
What Are Some Koramenu Fish Nutrition Facts?
Here is a list of Koramenu fish benefits:
- The Koramenu fish’s nutritional value is great. It is low in calories and high in minerals and vitamins.
- It consists of Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids.
- Due to certain minerals in the Murrel fish, it is beneficial to the skin and hair.
- It is rich in Vitamin D and Vitamin B12 as well.
At Licious, we deliver fresh murrel steaks right to your doorstep. These steaks are cut with precision & cleaned by our experts for convenience. The fish is from the day’s catch and is cut and delivered to you in 24 hours. The steaks make an ideal fit for curries making them perfect for this koramenu fish curry recipe.
Additionally, all our products undergo 150+ safety & quality checks and come vacuum-sealed in tamper-proof packages. The fish is stored in temperatures between 0-4°C to maintain freshness. Our fish & seafood are sourced from government approved fishing boats and are free from added chemicals.
|Prep Time||30 minutes|
- Licious Murrel Fish Steaks
- ½ an onion chopped
- 1 inch ginger chopped
- 4 in Tomatoes Made into a pastea mixer along with 3 to 4 cloves of garlic
- 2 green chillis slit
- 4 tbsp chilli powder
- 4 tbsp coriander powder
- 4 tbsp turmeric powder
- tbsp ¼cumin
- tbsp ½mustard
- 1 cup Tamarind water
- Cooking oil
- leaves Few curry
- few coriander leaves
- Salt as required
- 1 cup water
- tbsp ¼fenugreek seeds
- Take a pan and heat oil in it.
- Put the mustard, cumin, and fenugreek seeds in the oil. Allow it to splutter.
- Now, add green chillis and onion along with ginger and turmeric powder. Stir well for 3-5 minutes.
- Add tomato puree, coriander powder, chilli powder, and tamarind water.
- Add salt to the mixture.
- Add 1 cup of water to the mixture. Let it come to a boil.
- Put the gas on medium flame and cover with a lid. Let it cook for 15-20 minutes.
- When the oil separates, you can add the fish pieces to the mixture.
- Cover with a lid again and let it boil.
- Let it cook for 5-10 minutes.
- Add more salt if required.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and curry leaves.
- Remove from heat.
- Serve hot!
Serving Suggestions: Serve with roti or rice. Add raita on the side.
Tips and Tricks:
Make sure the fish is cooked properly before you remove it from heat. Mix all the ingredients properly so that there are no lumps. If this got your taste buds stimulated, it's your cue to try the Murrel fish curry recipe at home and share it with us on Instagram using #MadeWithLicious.
We’d love to see your creations and you might win Licious Cash!