Hailing from the coastal regions of Kerala, Malabar Prawn Curry is a dish full of flavours. The sweetness of coconut and tanginess of tamarind perfectly balances the rich flavour of prawns, making this recipe ideal for casual lunches or occasional dinners. Read below to give this recipe a try!
Buy Freshwater Prawns online on Licious. Explore our website for a range of other fresh seafood options such as Fish, Prawns and Crabs and prepare your next delicious recipe with Licious!
|Prep Time||20 minutes|
|Cook Time||45 minutes|
- 600 gms large prawns peeled and de-veined
- 2 tsp tamarind paste
- 30 fresh curry leaves
- 1 tsp black mustard seeds
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- ½ inch fresh ginger grated
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 tsp fenugreek powder methi
- ¼ tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 4-5 Tomatoes pureed
- 100 ml Chicken Stock
- 400 ml full-fat coconut milk
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- In a large pan, add oil on medium heat and add half a teaspoon of mustard seeds, 15 curry leaves and grated ginger. Sauté for about 30 seconds, lower the heat and add chopped onions and fenugreek powder. Cook gently for about 8-10 minutes until the onions are soft and golden.
- Add chilli powder, coriander powder, and turmeric and stir fry for about 1-2 minutes. Add tomato puree and tamarind paste, and cook for about 10 minutes. Add chicken stock and simmer until the stock reduces by half. This will take around 10-20 minutes.
- Increase the flame to medium and add the prawns. Cook for about 5 minutes, reduce the heat to low and then add the coconut milk. Cook for another 2-3 minutes before switching off the flame.
- In another pan, melt butter on high flame. As the butter starts smoking slightly, add the curry leaves and mustard seeds. Once the seeds temper, add the mixture into the curry. Serve hot with pilau rice.
You can also use tamarind pulp. Mix it with a tablespoon of boiling water and leave it for 15 minutes. Strain the mixture, and you will get about two teaspoons of paste.
Share your version of this recipe
Do you use any special ingredients from your hometown for prawns curry? We would love to try your variation. So, don’t forget to share your version of the recipe with us.
Frequently Asked Questions
What can I use instead of fenugreek powder?
You can substitute fenugreek powder with Kasuri methi.
What is the best substitute for coconut milk?
You can blend grated coconut and strain it to get a smooth thin paste.