Think of a dish that goes well with all your special items such as biryani, pulao, or jeera rice; in fact, a dish that can also be an appealing appetiser, and work well as a main course. Well, the dish we have for you today, comes straight from a seafood lover’s paradise – Mangalore! By now you must have identified that your beloved food item is none other than the heavenly prawn ghee roast.
Derived from the traditional dish of chicken ghee roast in Mangalorean cuisine, the origins of the dish can be traced to Kundapur, a tiny village in Mangalore. The dish is known to have been invented by Ravindranath Shetty, creator of ‘Coast to Coast’ in Bengaluru. He was among the few persons who knew the secrets of the classic ghee-roast recipe. Shetty, who was born in Kundapur in 1962, is largely credited for popularizing his family’s secret recipe for ‘ghee roast,’ a spicy and rich masala that is added to chicken, prawn, or egg.
Need more information about the recipe? Read on to know the cooking tips, and discover an easy prawn ghee roast recipe.
Authentic Mangalorean Prawn Ghee Roast
Fish is an essential component in coastal cuisine and is prepared in varied ways, each distinct but truly delightful! One such meal is the prawns ghee roast, which is in a league of its own! The authentic taste of this recipe comes from the spicy masala and tender prawns. The ghee roast prawn recipe calls for a fragrant ghee masala paste with a burst of chilli, pepper, and a sour flavour from tamarind. However, there are a few cooking tips that can help you achieve the perfect taste from this ghee roast recipe. Here are some essential tips-
Prawn ghee roast (Manglorean style)
- Decide the spice level according to your preference. The authentic Mangalorean style prawn ghee roast is a bit spicy but if you like it less or medium spicy you can always reduce the number of chillies and peppercorns which will have no effect on the taste of the dish.
- Use Baideygi chillies or Kashmiri red chillies that will give the dish a brilliant red colour while keeping the spice level in balance.
- Ghee should be extremely aromatic as it is one of the major ingredients that will enhance the flavour and aroma of the dish.
- Make sure you get fresh, juicy, tiger prawns for the prawn ghee roast recipe, as it is the deciding factor for the taste of your prawn ghee roast.
Anxious about how to source great quality prawns? Well, then here is your solution to get not only fresh but also cleaned and deveined tiger prawns.
At Licious, we provide you with clean, deveined, large, and tender prawns that are ready to cook straight out of the pack. Our prawns are caught and delivered to you within 24 hours, they are from approved local fishing boats and handpicked as per the right weight, size, and colour specifications.
Once procured, the prawns are deshelled and cleaned by expert technicians. All our fish and seafood undergo 150+ quality checks, only after which they are hygienically vacuum-packed and delivered. We also maintain constant temperatures between 0-4℃ for freshness. Hence your fish and seafood is always fresh, never frozen.
|Prep Time||30 minutes|
- Licious Tiger Prawns - deveined with tail
- 3 tbsp ghee
- salt to taste
- turmeric powder to taste
- 2-3 dried red chillies
- 4-5 teaspoons Coriander Seeds
- 1 teaspoon Cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon cloves
- 6-8 black peppercorns
- 8-10 garlic cloves
- 8-10 cloves
- 1 tbsp tamarind juice
- 3 tbsp Whisked yoghurt
- 1 teaspoon Chopped jaggery
- 10-12 extra leaves Curry for garnish
- In a mixing dish, combine the prawns, salt, and turmeric powder.
- Dry-roast dried red chillies in a nonstick skillet before transferring to a bowl.
- In the same nonstick pan, dry roast the coriander seeds, cumin seeds, cloves, and black peppercorns until aromatic.
- Combine all of the spices in a grinder jar. Grind them along with the garlic, tamarind pulp, and enough water to make a smooth paste.
- In the same nonstick pan, heat the ghee and add the ground paste, mixing well and sautéing for 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in the yoghurt and heat for 1 minute. Mix in the salt as well.
- Mix in the marinated prawns. Cook for 4-5 minutes, covered.
- Stir in the jaggery and simmer for another 2-3 minutes.
- Cook for an additional 1-2 minutes.
- Transfer to a serving dish, top with curry leaves, and serve immediately.
So, if reading about this recipe has made you drool, order fresh tiger prawns from Licious and get cooking. If you enjoy making this dish share pictures with us on Instagram using #MadeWithLicious. We’d love to see your creations and do let us know your thoughts in the comments. Happy cooking!