The railway mutton curry is not only rich in flavours but also has an interesting story behind it. The taste of this mutton curry is also considered one of the best mutton recipes in India.
You may assume that the process of making the this curry at home may be very difficult to understand. But let us assure you that the railway curry recipe is extremely simple and easy to follow.
If you’re still worrying about how you’ll be able to ace this dish, then worry not. We, at Licious, have you covered. We have customised an easy-to-follow railway mutton curry recipe for you.
What is railway mutton curry?
The railway mutton curry recipe finds its roots in the pre-independent era of India. As its name may suggest, it was accidentally discovered on a train ride. The discovery was made by a British official who complained about the classical Indian mutton curry being too spicy. The chef decided to add coconut milk to the recipe to tone down the spice. Since he couldn’t remember the exact name of the recipe, he named it railway mutton curry.
The main ingredient of this mutton curry recipe is coconut milk. The mutton pieces are sauteed well with onion, potato, and tomatoes to make it spicy and flavorful. However, the taste is mellowed down a notch by adding coconut milk.
If you’re looking for an easy and unique mutton curry for Ramadan, go for this mutton curry recipe!
Mutton curry cut
At Licious, we ensure that premium quality mutton is delivered to you. Our meat is passed through 150+ safety & quality checks. Additionally, the meat is always fresh, never frozen. To achieve this, it is temperature-controlled between 0-4°C. Our mutton is pasture-raised and chosen at the right weight and size for tender meat.
Our curry cut mutton pieces consist of both bone-in and boneless leg, neck, and rib pieces. The mutton is cleaned thoroughly and cut neatly by experts before being vacuum packed to lock in freshness.
They’re an ideal fit for various Indian curries like railway mutton curry.
Order from Licious today and get fresh meat delivered to your doorstep.
- 1 kg Curry Cut Mutton
- 6-8 Peppercorns
- 1 chopped tomato
- 2-3 cloves
- 4 dry red chillies broken into bits
- 2 tsp mild chilli powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp Cumin Powder
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 2 tsp Ginger and Garlic Paste
- Salt - to taste
- 2 potatoes quartered
- 2 big onions sliced
- 2-3 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp tamarind
- 2 pieces of cinnamon bark about 1 inch each
- Parboil the Mutton or lamb with a pinch of turmeric and salt in a little water till tender.
- Heat oil in a pan and fry the onions, red chillies, peppercorns and spices till golden brown.
- Add the ginger-garlic paste and fry for a few minutes to take away the raw taste.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and fry well.
- Meanwhile make a paste of the chilli powder, coriander powder and cumin powder with a little water. Add this paste and fry well till the oil separates from the mixture.
- Add the potato and let it cook until 80% done.
- Add the precooked meat and mix well. Fry for a few minutes.
- Add a cup of stock and cook on medium heat for a few minutes.
- Now add the tamarind paste.
- Keep frying till the gravy is thick and dark brown. Pour the coconut milk and simmer for a few more minutes then remove from heat.
- Serve hot with roti or rice.
Tips and Tricks
- You can add raita or curd to the meal for added taste.
- You can garnish the mutton curry with onions and coriander.
- Make sure to cook the meat properly for the curry.
- Use homemade coconut milk for enhanced taste.
If this recipe was enough to make your mouth water, you should give it a try. We would love to see how it turns out. Share pics with us on Instagram using #MadeWithLicious and stand a chance to win Licious cash.