How often have you drooled over those delicious Swedish Meatballs you watch on television or read about in magazines? These meatballs, seasoned with simple ingredients, including garlic and onions, can be enjoyed in many ways. While some savour them in a crispy form, fried with butter, others love to prepare them with a rich, creamy sauce to be enjoyed with rice or bread.
To prepare the meatballs, you would require the protein of your choice in its minced form. You can get fresh chicken for your Chicken Swedish Meatballs at Licious, which is thoroughly cleaned before mincing. The meat does not require any washing and can be used straight away for preparing meatballs or other minced chicken-based recipes while also maintaining the exact flavour and texture of the chicken. Our chickens are 100% organically-fed and free of antibiotics, hormones and residue, ensuring you gain all the health benefits and perfect taste.
Place your order today for Licious Chicken Mince or keema to prepare the ideal Swedish-inspired meal for your family and friends this weekend. There is no need to visit the wet market when you can get the best chicken products delivered to your doorstep by Licious.
What is Chicken Swedish Meatballs?
Meatballs are known by different names in different countries across the world. Meatballs are so famous worldwide, and their exact origination is still unknown. While many believe that meatballs may have originated in ancient Persia, others opine that they originated in Italy. However, people across the globe enjoy these delicious bite-sized meatballs in different forms of cuisines, one being Swedish Style Meatballs.
The Swedish savour the dish on special occasions and any day of the week. Preparing every meatball is worth the effort, and they are perfect to be enjoyed immediately and as leftovers. We have one classic Swedish meatball recipe below, but before that, let us share a few facts about the dish.
- The Swedish call meatballs ‘köttbullar’ (where K sounds like a ‘sh’) translates to “meat buns.”
- Some opine that the nation was introduced to meatballs in 1713 when King Charles XII was brought to Sweden after his exile in Istanbul.
- The Swedish Meatball Recipe is also famous in the United States today after Scandinavians immigrated there in the 19th and 20th centuries.
|Prep Time||90 minutes|
|Cook Time||1 hour|
- 450 grams of Licious Chicken Mince
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 tbsp dill chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp flour
- 450 ml Chicken Stock
- Salt as per taste
- ½ tsp Pepper
- ⅓ cup of fresh white breadcrumbs
- Take a large bowl and add the minced chicken, egg, onion, dill, salt, pepper, and breadcrumbs.
- Mix them well and prepare small bite-sized balls in equal sizes.
- Take a pan and add olive oil. Allow it to heat on medium and slowly place the meatballs to fry on all sides in a nice brown colour. Ensure that you do not crowd the pan with the meatballs. Remove the cooked meatballs on paper.
- Add butter to the same pan. Once it melts, slowly add the flour and keep stirring to avoid lumps.
- Cook for about 2 minutes continuously, and then add the chicken stock slowly as you keep whisking till it turns into a thick gravy.
- Add the cooked meatballs into the gravy and allow them to cook for about 3-5 minutes on low heat.
- Garnish with more dill and serve hot
The best way to enjoy Swedish Meatballs is to eat them with mashed potatoes, rice or/and vegetable salad.
Do try this easy and authentic Swedish Style Meatballs recipe at home and tag us with the picture on Instagram using #MadeWithLicious.